Help us improve Answers search!

We've received lots of feedback that search within the Answers section needs to be improved. The main issue right now seems to be that the recency of the results isn't factored in -- your search can return questions from two years ago or two minutes ago.

If our search was "perfect," what would you mainly use it for (finding "active" questions, finding questions that have already been well answered, etc.)?

(I should mention that once we think search is better, we'll also make it more easy to find.)

Cafe BTC

Asked by Cafe BTC at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in About CafeMom

• To find questions about topics of interest
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What I mainly want to use search for: I remember someone posting something a while ago and want to try to find that specific question or that specific answer within the question. Ideally, I would like to be able to search by poster's name and by multiple boolean keywords.
    For example, say there was a question 2 months ago about Halloween, and I think Cafe BTC said something about Snickers, I'd want to be able to search +"Cafe BTC" +"Snickers. Or I know there's been 30 questions already about Snickers in the Political Debate section (Snickers, Palin, whatever), I want to search in only P&CE for Snickers to see just the questions that had Snickers in the Question or the Answers.
    Last part - there have been dozens of questions about building a Snickers at Ground Zero with 10+ pages, and I want to find the one answer that linked a NYT article, I want search to bring up that answer on pg 5, not the entire question.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Im usually trying to find questions about a topic of interest. I would love to be able to look for those questions by section.
    I think it would also be nice to be able to search for question by a specific screen name
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Make a search bar. Such if I'm looking for a question I remembered I don't have to scroll through all the questions or the ones I answered just to find it. For example I answered a question that was titled. "He hit our 1 yr old son..." A few days later I would like to see how the question is going but I cant find it due to how many answers I already given
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Does the search parameters incorporate boolean?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I use search to find questions already answered. My only complaint about it is the randomness of the search results. I like most of NP's ideas on it though.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• To find questions about specific topics
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 5:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2010