At what point is it to cold for children to go out and play?

My DH and I are having a small argument. My children are going to stay with my gram for a day or so, and he is upset because she wants us to take them over extra clothes so that she can take them out to play in the snow. Now, I don't see a huge deal here, it's cold, yes, but the kids will be bundled up and they'll only be out in it for maybe a half hour or so and then she brings them in - Just like she did with us when we were kids. He says that anything below freezing is to cold for kids to be out playing in...

So at what point is it to cold? Is there an "official" ruling on this kind of thing or is it just something that parents have to decide?

Just for argument sake, it's 28* here right now, which I consider COLD, but not TOO COLD...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do mean TOO cold? Anyways, we were out today and it is 20 degrees, snowing.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That's not too cold. You put their snow suits on and let them run. I'm in MN and my kids would get cabin fever if we didn't let them out every day. We do stay inside on the days when it's 15 below zero of course.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, I mean TOO COLD!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Frozen flesh warnings.

In Norway, it is considered necessary for all children to sleep outdoors all year round for at least part of the day. It is also said, in Norway: There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Is there an "official" ruling on this kind of thing or is it just something that parents have to decide?

Most likely yes. A lot of people disagree on the 'right" temperature to go outside, so it's somewhat a parental decision I suppose.

Anyways, I don't think anything is "too cold" if dressed properly, and if just outside to play, limit the time like you said so they aren't in the cold too long. Nothing like coming in from playing in the snow to a cup of hot cocoa or soup!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i let mine play and i think it was 17 out its just for a little while
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 12:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 28?? that's NOT too cold at all.. It is 0 in MN and yes, that's too cold but I am sure your mom knows and will use her better judgement if it does get too cold..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my kids were little, we lived in MN. It gets COLD up there!! I was hard pressed to keep them indoors! They were ALWAYS out building forts & having snow ball fights, sledding, skating, you name it. As long as kids are properly dressed, the temp is no big deal. Wind chill is another factor. To help prevent chapped cheeks we always rubbed vaseline on their cheeks to protect from the wind and cold. Remind your DH that Gram managed to raise kids without losing any to the cold (apparently LOL) and that she and the kids will do just fine.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• In an effort to correct Mom2just1 also made a grammatical error. I guess NO ONE is perfect! You understood the question so what was the point?

Im sorry I may receive thumbs down..but im tired of others correcting others. If the question is understood, what is the point?

Im sick of it...Do we have to be real cautious with what we type to make sure it meets MLA AMA or whatever correct english format to not be corrected on her. Cafemom=not english class...
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think that it below freezing is too cold... But im weird I guess because if theres snow outside i'll take my daughter out to play but if there is no snow and its the same temp as it was when there was snow then I feel it is too cold. I had to remind my SO that while im at work do NOT take DD outside to play because it was only 23 this morning. But again if there was snow I would probably say, dont keep her out to long.. I guess I dont make sense lol.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010