Is a diet book as a white elephant gift tacky and offensive?

My husband's office is doing a white elephant gift exchange. We are each bringing a gift to contribute. My hubby, who is VERY into health and nutrition, to the point of preaching and annoyance, decided his gift would be a book about diet, weight loss, etc. He has a lot of overweight (but very nice and wonderful!) coworkers and when I asked him if the book would possibly offend someone, he said he thinks it will truly benefit them. I think it's tasteless and at the very least, a lame holiday gift...who wants a book about DIETING as a fun gift? I don't know what to do! He won't be convinced otherwise and I don't want him to look like a total jerk to his whole office!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• Ahhh, thanks :)

I'd let him bring his gift. When he sees everyone trying NOT to get his diet book he might get the hint. Or, someone might actually want it. This is a lesson he needs to learn on his own.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Let him look like a total jerk.

You are not going to penetrate his belief by arguing with him. Let someone else (or the fact that he spots it next time in the trash) point it out. Or, perhaps even more daring: brave being patient enough for him to learn what he needs to learn in the way he needs to learn it.

You have learned, by now, that you can't stuff things in through his ears... right?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Maybe you can attach another cute gift to it.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I thought about trying to take it myself so nobody else has to be subjected to it, but I know he'll notice...ugh!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Switch it when he is not looking? wow if you get some suggestions share with the rest of us???
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• They will know who it is from....

If they just place the gifts under the tree, and people grab one then who cares what he puts.

If he is giving it too an over weight person then he is being ingnorant and he could really hurt their feelings...

I would not get offended, but if I was over weight I might... That is very tricky.... Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Uh, yeah, that is extremely tacky, and if he has a lot of overweight coworkers it's very rude and thoughtless. He'll be the black sheep of the office if he gives that away, especially in a white elephant exchange. The recipient will likely be reduced to tears in the bathroom unless they have a sense of humor, but will still be hurting on the inside.
    Anonymous

• Tacky and thoughtless. Since he seems preachy about health and nutrition everyone is going to know it was from him. I really hope he reconsiders, he could very easily hurt someone's feelings. Way to spread some holiday cheer.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't do it, I think its very rude
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What's a white elephant exchange? Is the gift bought with a specific person in mind, or is it chance who gets what?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010