Disappointed?

i found out i am having another boy and i am disappointed but very grateful...i wanted a girl because i have a 5 year old son and i wanted to be done with having kids after i have my daughter? is it okay to feel disappointment and how can i shake that feeling?

Onenamillion

Asked by Onenamillion at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think you give yourself a day or two to be disappointed. I mean, no girlie dresses and Barbie dolls, no getting your nails done and shopping together, etc. If you had your hopes up it is natural to be a bit let down. Then you put this out of your head and if the thoughts try to creep in you focus on all of the positive- first off a healthy happy baby of either sex is really a blessing, and a brother for your son will be wonderful, they will hopefully share a friendship and common interests for the rest of their lives. Sons love their mothers so much, and you can raise good men who will grow up and marry wonderful girls who will be glad to shop with you and get their nails done. The point is, the news is a bit disappointing but there is much more to be happy about and hopeful about, and maybe you will get that girl one day, and if not that should be ok, too. Hugs to you.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's okay to feel like that for a bit. But you will love your new son just as much as you would a daughter. I wanted another girl but I am having a boy at first I was sad but now I can't wait to have my little boy. You may or may not get the girl you want but you will still love your children.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I felt the same when I found out with my curent pregnancy, it's another boy, really wanted a little girl! But I wasn't dissappointed for long, as you say, you also feel grateful and now at almost the end of the pregnancy I'm really happy and can't wait to my little guy and my son who is 3 is so excited to be having a baby brother :)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 12:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• with my first I wanted a boy then i found out i was having a girl. I was disappointed for a split second then I was just happy I was having baby all together
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am sure that with time, as you see the U/S and that you are progressing and doing well, those feelings will subside and you will be so grateful to have a precious little buddy for your 5 year old son.
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 12:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, I too was a little disappointed to find out it was another girl when I had so wanted a boy. The disappointment sure doesn't last long though =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I wanted a boy but I had a girl. I was slightly disappointed. But you shake it off just in time.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 7:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yes!! you cannot help but love those little hands and feet!!! boy or girl, it jus looks like i wont be done having kids just yet, but i will wait until i graduate from college in 2012
    Onenamillion

Comment by Onenamillion (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think it's normal to have a little disappointment initially, but it will pass soon enough, and you'll be so excited to meet your little man! I'm sure we'll be the same way next time around. We have a son, so of course, we'd love to balance him out with a daughter, but who knows what nature will decide? Either way, ultimately, as long as Baby is healthy, all is good! =)
    Give yourself a couple of days to be bummed, and then go look at all the cute boys stuff out there! They've come a long way! Those little swim trunks get me every time!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Shake emotional feelings during pregnancy?? No way! The best advice I could give you as a mommy of 2 boys as it's the greatest gift ever! They are 2 years apart but are already very close! You will save so much money on clothes and they will bond together more when they get older.
    KellsB2Boys

Answer by KellsB2Boys at 12:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010