My baby is 4 months old, she is spitting up alot, I'm not sure why, or what to do about it, any suggestions would help, Thank you

Hondachick44007

Asked by Hondachick44007 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she unhappy and crying when she spits?Or is she just spitting?

I have had the pleasure of 3 spitty babies. 2 were in extreme pain when they spit and had moderate-severe reflux. The other was a happy spitter. She made a huge mess but it never bugged her.

In all 3 cases the spitting got worse with learning new skills that gave position changes - rolling over onto tummy, tummy time, sitting and standing.

If your baby is showing signs of reflux - lots of spitting with obvious pain, breath constantly smelling like stomach acid (only one of mine had that) call your pediatrician. If you aren't satisfied with the ped's response ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist. If she is just spitting, then there isn't much to do but clean up a lot.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Is she sick? breast or bottle fed? how much and how often is she eating?
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• sorry we need more info!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son had spitting up issues for a long time. The doctor tried a medication that did not help and also instructed us to thicken up the milk. You can use wheat barley rice any baby cereal for either the formula or the breast milk. Just add a little at a time (I used the formula scoop and tried one at a time. Once it gets too thick to drink you need to move to baby food. My son started on mushed solids at 4 months which is early but necessary due to the spitting up.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my daughter did the same thing when i switch her to formula just try enphamil for spit ups or try addin rice ceral to her bottle.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 12:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010