So who dislikes Harry Potter for reasons other than it's not their genre of book/movie?

My MIL hates Harry Potter. She said it's evil and teaches kids how to use magic.... Ok... She's a teacher(2nd grade), and her fav books to read to her kids are the Junie B. Jones books. I think THOSE would have a worse impact on such small kids... (Although I LOVE them myself) And in one book Junie B. comes home and hears her infant brother crying. So she goes to see him and she picks him up, hugs him, then puts him in the hall closet and shuts him in. I told her I think that teaches kids they can be mean to younger siblings (just to be a butt. lol). So WHO dislikes Harry Potter for reasons other than genre? And why???

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 6:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I love HP. Believing in magic makes life so much more fun.
    Junie B., on the other hand, drives me nuts. They are awful for teaching kids to read because her sentence structure is bad, bad, bad. Good books teach kids the correct way to read and write by example. Kids already know how to talk wrong, which is why they need the books to guide them. I am an elementary school teacher, mostly 3rd grade. I do not encourage Junie B.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I love Harry Potter and my older children have both read the books. I also do not think that a 2nd grader should be reading Harry Potter because the books are to old for that age. My children also read Junie B. Jones books as well.

I guess I think that as long as you are talking to your children about what they are reading then everything should be okay. You are at least getting them to read and for some that is half the battle.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I don't like the way the books are written. I'm a huge fan of fantasy movies and books (huge Twilighter here!) but I just never got "into" HP. The story never interested me enough, meh, I dunno. I think I could've written a better story :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2008