How soon in your pregnancy can progesterone supplements be given?

I am just having my first pre natal appt. tomorrow and will have my hormone levels checked. I only had my Progesterone checked 2 weeks ago when I was (3 weeks pregnant) but didn't know it yet until I had actually missed my period. At that time it was 56 which I find out is good. Now it is 2 weeks later and I will have everything checked now that my family practitioner knows that I am pregnant.
If my levels were to drop, is it still soon enough to recieve progesterone supplements if necessary?

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 12:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That's something to discuss with your doctor. You're going to get too many different opinions here.
    Anonymous

• It will be too late. Most women do not need progesterone supplements to sustain a pregnancy. Do you have a history of miscarriage?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I started using the suppositories as soon as the doc confirmed I was pregnant. (about 6 weeks)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I will be 5 weeks tomorrow. I had a miscarriage in June but they didn't know what caused it as I micarried at home and was checked out after all that had happened. They feel that it was maybe a chromosomal anomaly meaning that they baby just couldn't survive. My progesterone was in a super range just 2 weeks ago so I hope it stays that way. I wil know more next week after the results come back. I am just a bit anxious with this pregnancy. I feel good but that doesn't reassure me as things can happen at any time during a pregnancy.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks to everyone for their input. I will chat with my Nurse Practitioner tomorrow. it can't come soon enough!
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There's no reason to give those unless there is a low level. And even then, many doctors don't believe in it. Some feel it does not save you from miscarriage if that is what is destine to happen. This is an issue I would discuss with your doctor. You should probably ask what their opinion on its usage is.
    Anonymous

• I got the shots from the day I got a positive result. I wouldn't do the suppositories simply because they are messy and tend to leak out. Get the shots or go oral. This is assuming your levels are low. I had daily shots with my first pregnancy and weekly ones from my high risk OB for the next three pregnancies. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I will just be relieved to get the results back from the bloodwork I am having done tomorrow morning. I wasn't nervous at all with our first pregnancy (which ended in m/c at 12 1/2 weeks along) but now, with that loss, I am much more aware of what can happen.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• The first trimester is the most critical. You will probably get a supplement as soon as the test shows it's low. But if it's not low then there is no need.
    Anonymous

• I had great progesterone levels a couple of weeks ago (when I was just having routine fertility bloodwork and tests being done - I was at 56!) so hoping that I am in the same range now 2 more weeks later. I didn't know I was pregnant 2 weeks ago.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010