What's the best way to sterilize my breast pump after every use?

Platinum_Mommy

Asked by Platinum_Mommy at 12:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• You don't have to sterilize it. Just hand wash the parts like you would any other dishes. Nipples aren't sterile, and your pump doesn't need to be, either. Don't clean the tubing or anything like that, just the flanges, valves, and bottles.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mine was a hand held one, not sure what kind u have but i would wash it with hot water and soap and then boil it in water on the stove
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree with musicpisces. I breastfed/pumped for my two kids, and I just washed the parts that touched the milk after every use and let them air dry. But, if it makes you feel safer, you could stick them in the dishwasher every night so they get "sterilized" at the end of everyday. If you don't have a dishwasher, then you can wash them as normal, then let them sit in water with a little bleach in it for 5 mins. Just make sure that after that, you rinse them with clean water VERY well, so your baby doesn't get bleach in his/her system.

Just know that it doesn't HAVE to be sterile... your baby needs a few germs to bolster that immune system! :)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think you should sterilize it. Have any of you heard of thrush?? My son got thrush and it didn't go away until I started sterilizing the bottle nipples. When I pumped, I sterilized my breast pump the same way I sterilized the nipples. You can buy bags at the store, or a bottle sterilizer.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Hi Platinum Mommy,

My name is Kesha Hasty and I work for Lansinoh Laboratories. Depending on what you have available to you, you can store your parts in a refrigerator after each use and wash once at home. You can also use a steam sterilizer to sterilize the parts, or wash the parts by hand with warm soapy water. Hope this information helps and if you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact Lansinoh by phone at 800-292-4794 or by email at customerservice@lansinoh.com.

SIncerely,

Kesha Hasty
    Consumer Relations Supervisor
    Lansinoh Laboratories

Kesha1980

Answer by Kesha1980 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• When I used mine, I would just wash it in warm water with dish soap and rinsed it really well.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2010