Permanent Marker off of furniture?

How can I get permanent marker off of black Lacquer without damaging it?

I bought a $70 black lacquer shelf that is also a coat hanger/picture frame at Hobby Lobby for a Christmas Present for ONLY $15 because it was "damaged" & need the writing to come off the back that says "DAMAGED"..

We have replaced the small screw & its no longer damaged!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you use it very, very lightly, you can get the mr.clean magic eraser pads, get it wet and do circular motion's, if you notice it's to abbrassive stop using it.. I have gotten paint markings off my gray SUV with one of those after a car bumped into me and took off..
    AudrisMom06

Answer by AudrisMom06 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• A mr clean majic eraser, would probably do the trick.
    Hondachick44007

Answer by Hondachick44007 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Magic eraser got black permenant marker off of my white wooden kitchen chairs almost instantly. Just be careful...the eraser can sometimes scratch a tiny bit or take off the shine....so go slow and pay attention when scrubbing...so you dont cause more damage..
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Scrub! Sometimes if you write over it with dry erase marker, then wipe off, it will come. It depends on the furniture, really. Last year I babysat the most obnoxious child in the world. One day while I was making lunch he somehow found a magic marker (no idea why/how it was within his reach) and colored all over my dining room table, chairs, entertainment center, and tv. The marker came off the tv screen with water and elbow grease. The sides of the tv were a more porous plastic and it never did come out. I tried the dry erase trick with the table and got most of it, but was only partially successful with the chairs and the entertainment center. Good old fashioned scrubbing seems to be the most effective!
    TigerofMu

Answer by TigerofMu at 1:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I've used toothpaste to get it off of my kitchen counter, i googled it and found a site that said to use toothpaste and a papertowel, it worked for me. good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010