How often should my newborn eat?

This is not my first baby, but he makes me so nervous because he only eats every 4 hours, so he only ges about 6 feedings in a 24 hour period when I know he should get almost double that. He sleeps sooo much, and usually falls asleep on the breast as well. He has pleanly of pee/ poop diapers, and at his doc appt. the other day he had gained weight since leaving the hopsital. He is not jaundice, not fussy, and he does stay awake for a good while after eating..... and he is eating a bit better now that my milk has come in. I just feel like he goes waaay too long between feedings. He is only 5 days old.. I am not sure if I should worry or just let him be a sleepy head. Like last night he ate at 1030, then woke around 230.. then not again until about 8 this morning. He still hasnt eaten and it is now 11.

He is breast fed only.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby is fine. Some only eat every 4 hours. My first would go 4 hours and then by 6 weeks 6 to 7 hours at night. As long as baby is popping, peeing and gaining weight baby is getting what baby needs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• He's fine. This stage probably won't last long. Don't worry. He's gaining weight and has wet diapers. You can't force him to eat.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If the diaper count is good, he's not jaundiced and is gaining weight, everything is perfect. He will most likely start eating more frequently soon due to growth spurts. He is still in the sleepy brand new stage. Soon, you will be complaining that he's eating constantly. That is normal too.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 5:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i do deman feeding so whenever it is hungry.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010