Have any of you had to give up a pet dog for any reason?

I don't care if you answer anon, just curious how many, if any have not kept a dog and what was the reason?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 1:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Last yr was a really crazy yr for my family . I had two dog's at the time . My husband had started to go threw a divorce and then got back together . Then he lost his job and we went from california to Texas and back. When we returned we were homeless . We were going from one relatives home to another . So my aunt let us keep them there until we could get back on our feet.
    Sadly my pitbull "rosebud" keep jumping , breaking threw the fence . So last time she did this she was never returned to dog pound . We never found her. It's been a yr now and my boy's miss her dearly . My six yr old prayers everynight . I'm hope that when we get a new home we find her..
    My other doggie is still at my aunt's house . And we go and see him all the time..
    pinkdot

Answer by pinkdot at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We had to get rid of our dog last summer. He became really aggressive toward our youngest son (2), he would push him over, pee on his toys, and snap at him. (Before the bashing starts - the baby wasn't aggressive to the dog, he was actually very standoffish with him) I couldn't take the chance of him seriously harming my son so we got rid of him.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I found a puppy in a dumpster once. He was so tiny he fit in the palm of my hand. I took him home and my husband melted! He was filthy, so we gave him a bath. We rolled up a heating pad and put it in a sock, lined a laundry basket with a blanket and put the puppy and warming sock in there overnight. The next day I took him to a vet. He was full of worms and fleas and was a pretty sick little puppy. We gave him medicine and got him better, housetrained him, taught him some tricks. He grew and grew. And he grew and grew and grew. Seems he was part St. Bernard and part Australian Shepherd. When he was 5 months old he weighed 98 pounds. When he was 7 months old he weighed 110 pounds. He was just way too big for our tiny apartment and apartment life. He needed a home in the country, or at the very least he needed a yard. We gave him to the parents of some friends and he lives happily with lots of room to run!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When I was in college my parents lived overseas and had brought my dog to the US to live with my grandparents while I was in school. Parents came home for a year and when they left my grandparents had said they couldn't keep my dog so my parents gave her to a family whose dog had recently died. I was devastated. When my grandparents found out they said they would have kept her if they had known she would be given away. But at least the family that got her was thrilled to have her.
    JefferJo

Answer by JefferJo at 1:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My husband had to give his chocolate lab to my BIL when the grandkids came to live with us. My grandson is highly allergic to dogs and cats. When we got orders to Hawaii back in 1987 we left my dog from childhood with my Mom because we didn't have the money for her flight, much less the 4 months of quarantine. So we adopted a cinnomon colored lab named 'wrinkles' from another family who was PCSing off island. Wrinkles couldn't get a health cert to leave because of heart worms. So we kept her for 3 years. When it was time for us to go we found another military familiy who took her. We got a note about 6 yrs later that she had passed away.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When I was 12 years old my parents made me give up Bodger my retriever collie mix. Looking back he was a dog that would have bee considered posessive aggressive. My parents did not know that much about dogs and certainly did not know anything about dog behavior. I wish I had known then what I know now because I would have known what to do to correct that behavior and he would have been able to stay with me. I swore after losing Bodge that I would never give up another animal with doing everything I could to fix the problem first.

I thought I was going to have to give up two of my dogs 7 months ago when my husband walked out and preceeded to threaten me. I had to get myself and daughter out of there quickly (moved in 3 days) but thankfully I was able to keep my family together.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes..this was before our son - I had researched and bought my husband a rescued dog from this foster home. I got information before hand and pictures and she checked me out etc. I pick the dog who was only 1-1/2 at the time - well I bring him home and he is TERRIFIED of my husband.. he would shake and pee and hide from him and while my husband tried to attach to him, this dog only wanted me- whcih was fine.. well I went to work at 3am at the time and he tried to get the dog out to pee in the morning and he hid from him in the garage and started growling and my husband was trying to coax him to come to him by treats and the dog(puppy) ended up biting him and I had to bring him to the ER for stitches.. I talked to the foster care and apparently she didn't disclose but he was severely beat by whoever had him and she thought he had gotten over it but he didn't.. we both cried for days but couldn't keep him..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We gave our beautiful choc lab to a bird hunter. He was so destructive. So he went to live on land and become a hunter with several other choc labs.
    Anonymous

• Yes. When I was pregnant we got a mutt from the humane society. He was kinda aggressive the whole time we had him. Protective of his food and he loved nipping at my heels as I walked accros the house. But right before I had my son he bit me pretty bad and latched on and wouldnt let go. So that was it for me. Couldnt have that around a baby. Gave him back to humane society. Ive bad luck with dogs so im sticking with just cats! Im more of a cat person anyway.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We had to give away my dog when we moved across the country. She wasn't very good with being in the car and we rented places for awhile.... she went to a good home though. I miss her :(
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 1:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010