how to keep my dd warm since she cant wear her coat in the car seat!

my dd is 10 months old and she just moved out of her infant car seat since she is to tall for it! not to worry tho she is still rear faced :-)! anyways how do i keep her warm since she cant wear her coat in the car seat! its like 20 degrees today so a blanket just wont cut it! any ideas? oh and i would warm up the car first but we live in an apartment so i cant! i think my car would b stolen if i did that! Thanks!!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• You should be able to adjust the straps in the car seat so she can wear her coat. My son fits in his car seat just fine with his winter jacket on. I also have an extra car key so I can warm up my car with the doors locked and still have a key to unlock the door.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We put a big blanket folded up a few times over him. It's a nice warm fuzzy blanket. It does the trick. I start the car before I put him in, and turn the heater on full blast. I keep his coat on until right before I put him in, and then cover him up with the blanket as soon as he's in.
    Glad you still have her rear facing! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You can put her coat on her backwards, unzip it when you get to the car, put her in, buckle her and put the coat on her backwards over the harness straps. There are also things called car seat ponchos that I have seen people use in the car seat safety group. Also, I have heard of getting a thin polar fleece from old navy and one other place but I can't think of the name of it right now. If you are interested and have the time to check it out the ladies in the car seat safety group on here may be able to offer you some better suggestions. Many of the women there are Techs and very knowledgable. I think that it is great that you are aware of the dangers of wearing a coat in the car seat and commend you for keeping your lo rear facing. Good for you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Strap her in, and turn her coat BACKWARDS so that if she were wearing it, it would zip in the back. Then put her arms through the sleeves. It will stay in place (unlike a blanket), and does not interfere with the straps. This is what we always did :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't understand why she can't wear her coat....the straps are adjustable. As long as there is only enough space between her and the straps for one finger it's ok. Pain in the butt? Sure but she'll be warm.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• lighter jacket with a blanket over her
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Do you have a spare key? When mine were babies I would start the car and lock it up while it heated up inside.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• People, you CANNOT let them wear their winter coat in the car seat! The coat can compress in an accident, and that means the straps WILL NOT protect your child from FLYING out of the car seat! It's not a matter of adjusting the straps, it's a matter of SAFETY!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• have her wear several layers of clothing, like a onesie, with a long sleeve shirt over it and maybe another light jacket over that. you can tyr and lay her warm jacket over her AFTER she's strapped in but chances are she'll throw it off.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I cant believe so many moms dont know that you CANT put your child in a car seat with a coat on. Its so dangerous.

I do the spare key thing that others have posted, works great for us. good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010