Have you ever fallen away?

Has there ever been a time in your life when you got lost and fell away from yor religion? Like, getting a divorce for the first time and getting so caught up in your situation that you got invovled with worldly things? Such as getting a tatto, or tattos. Or, start drinking, not realizing that you are trying to self-medicate? Or this is your first time on your own with children and you feel so bad for them that you don't even realize that you are falling away from what you believe in? Please, be honest, for I am being honest with you. I just would like to hear that I'm not the only one who ever fell away like that.

Freda01

Asked by Freda01 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes i was a drug user for about 3 yrs. the worst yrs of my life i lost my children to my mother, went to jail and had been raped. i never thought i would quit but i did when i got jailed for the last time and god rescued me. i do believe that through all the crap i did i knew that my faith in god and my church was going to be my saving grace. he did save me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I suppose you could say that. There was a point in my time when I was still trying to convince myself I believed in God and would try to ask why things that happened, happened. Much like people ask God Why certain things happen, only I didn't believe in God. Do you follow what I'm saying?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I was baptized at 17, gained much Bible knowledge without the relationship. I had severe depression and each time I sinned, I felt condemned no matter how much I asked forgiveness. God loved me and I didn't really know it. I knew the Bible like the back of my hand, but with all my wisdom I failed to gain understanding. (Proverbs 4:7) To shorten this very long story, I spiralled into a deeper depression, became an alcoholic,attempted suicide twice, shacked-up, partied, everything I felt like doing. I was lost. A friend was the first one to point out to me that I needed a relationship with the LORD. She showed me Jesus.

continued...
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I was still very depressed but I started to talk to God again. I asked to be freed from my depression. He answered through His word: "Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33) I didn't listen right away. The depression got much worse, I planned my suicide. God got my attention off of myself by allowing someone very close to me to have a crisis. I prayed often during that time. I accepted God's offer. I had a panic attack in the church parking lot the first time I went back. I attended for 3 weeks before I went to the alter after the pastor's appealed and requested re-baptism. I have a real relationship with the LORD now.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Of course! I went through a time were I started questioning my religion. There were things that my church taught me that I did not agree with so I began to believe it was a sham. Then I realized that I can still believe in God, my veiw of God is just different now. But I still struggle every day to do the things I know I should. I talk the talk to myself, but am finding it hard to walk the walk. It;s just little things, like not saying bad things about people, or being pacient with people.
    I don't think you should worry, as long as you see that you know that you are falling away then you can grab on and pull yourself back!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Naturally. The thing is I didn't just "fall away", I finally stayed away.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I guess I feel like 2autisticsmom.....My husband was a financial something at a church and he was to keep record of the money coming and going. When he found out that the pastor was not writing down everything he was given and things didn't add up at the end. My hubby brought it up during a meeting and those people attacked him for it. He was doing his job and the pastor understood but a lot of people were pissed....I haven't been back to A church since then over 5 years now. I want to go back but I just don't feel I need church, all I need is God.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Yes I did and I REALLY felt I was greiving the Holy Spirit. I tore me as I sinned and I felt so ashamed. The worse thing is that my sin was revealed. I repented and asked for forgiveness. It shamed me because I had been involved in a lot of different ministries.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No one is perfect.... no not one ......we all came short of the glory of God!
    Hey, If we were perfect we would be God!
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 10:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• yes, i think if you are a believer long enough, everyone has those times. i have had one of those recently, i keep praying to God to help me stay close.
    Anonymous