For those who aren't religious or don't celebrate Christmas - Does it bother you when someone says "Merry Christmas" to you?

I am not a religious person. I don't believe in God or Jesus or anything like that. I know how Christmas originated, but it does not bother me to hear someone say Merry Christmas to me.

I know most people have started saying "Happy Holidays" instead. I just wanted to know how others feel about it that don't celebrate Christmas or aren't religious. I overheard someone freaking out about it the other day because a Wal-Mart cashier wished her a Merry Christmas and she just flipped out because she doesn't believe in Christmas and doesn't want to hear it.

Just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't and I'm pretty sure that lady didn't mean to offend her, she was being nice and courteous to a customer. I just think she blew it way out of proportion. I'm not going to ruin someone's cheer and happiness for wishing me a Merry Christmas because I don't believe in Christ. They were just being nice, ya know?

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Kudos to you, OP. If everyone would get the stick out of their asses about everything (OMG!!! I'm so offended!!!!) the world would be a better place. Christmas--religiously or secularly celebrated--is a part of American culture. I for one sure as hell wouldn't be offended if I were in Israel and was wished a Happy Hanukkah or a Happy Ramadan if I was vacationing in Afghanistan, but maybe that's just me.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No ,and it's always been "Christmas".
    __________
    Not for Jews, or Buddhists, or Muslims, or whoever else doesn't celebrate. That is the point of saying Happy Holidays. It covers all the bases.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What is funny about this question is that while I seldom hear people complaining about being told "Merry Christmas" I certainly hear alot of people flipping out about NOT hearing it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think it's just another excuse people use to gripe. Some people just gripe just to be griping and not happy otherwise.
    Anonymous

• I have yet to hear anyone complain about hearing merry xmas, but I hear PLENTY about the war on xmas- THAT is something I am soooo sick of hearing.
    I would prefer to hear "happy holidays", simply because it is never seethed at me in a condescending tone like merry xmas is. The ONLY people I have heard complain are the ones who claim they are being persecuted, and that their religious holiday is being stripped from them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• "No ,and it's always been "Christmas". Politically correct or not. Why can't they just leave it alone ?"

No honey, it hasn't. Idk where you live, but where I live there are a lot of people who are Jewish, I would consider it rude to wish them a Merry Christmas, knowing they don't celebrate. I don't think anyone would mind, but if I know they celebrate Hanukkah instead of Christmas, I should wish them Happy Hanukkah or Happy Holidays at least. Besides, Happy Holidays can also include New Year's so I see nothing wrong with saying it. I don't care what anyone wishes me, as long as they're not telling me to f-off.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i like your way of thinking. on the flipside, my husband's uncle posted on facebook the other day how pissed he was that people are "taking away" Merry Christmas and Christmas tree. and went on about how you have to say Happy Holidays and Holiday Tree. just to be accurate nobody is stopping anyone from saying anything, you can say whatever you'd like. but some businesses are replacing "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays" to pretty much 'cover' all the Holidays out there and not focus on just Christmas, trying to be more diverse so to speak. I do celebrate Christmas- and I'm not offended by Happy Holidays - nor would I be trying to offend a stranger by telling them Merry Christmas. in reality these are just words! no need to get upset over words!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No it doesnt bother me at all. I pick and choose what bothers me. When people say Merry Christmas they have no idea am Atheist. I just say same to you. Why get all up tight about something
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't mind it at all.  I think if everyone jsut took whatever well wishes came thier way as just that - the world be be a nicer place!

I think this woman who freaked of the cashier had other things she was actually pissed about and took it out on the wrong person for the wrong reason! I think at some point she would have freaked out on someone  you know?  Being a cashier can be really crappy at times *I WAS a WM cashier so I know ;)

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We're Jewish and it doesn't bother us at all. Sometimes we say it back, but most times we just say thank you.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010