do you think this is right to do husband took me off the account

when i was pregnant i left my husband for awhile because he pushed me and i felt like if i stayed it would of been worse so i got my daughter in the car when he went inside and left went and took the last 200 we had out of our account so i could get to my moms . He took me off the account because i over drew the account because of bills now its been a year since that has happened i still have to ask him for money if i want any he told me i will never have anything to do with the bank account over this hole thing .So my question is do you think he is wrong for not letting me back on the account or was he in the right for what he did and not willing to let me have anything to do with it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I suppose you could point out that had you called the cops that night, he could have ended up in jail for assault and battery instead of you withdrawing the money. It could have gone THAT way instead.
    It almost sounds to me more like he's trying to control you rather then he's worried you will take the money again. I bet the more you talk with him, the more you will see just what is really going on here.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You two are married so you deserve to be on the account. Try sitting him down and talking to him about adding you back onto the account. It seems a bit controlling that you always have to ask him for money. Let him know that if he adds you he will no longer need to go out of the way to do that
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am not allowed on his accounts I got my own job and put my own money in my own account. Maybe this could be a suggestion for you?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Personally, if you did that to me I would never have another joint account with you. Married or not. My son learned that the hard way with his first wife. She pulled that once, he put her back on and a yr later she did it again. He nearly lost his house and his truck. I think your husband has every right to be gun shy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Pay him back the $200 you took out and put your name back onto the account.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Carrielayne. You are right. Without the other person signing off you can't just remeove someone from an account. You can close the account and open a new one in your name alone.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Just get a job and open an account in your name so you want have to deal with this crap.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My husband did this to me as well, I was in a fit of rage and after an argument and started to get a bit out of control. I didn't even take his money but I scared him so much that he changed the PIN so I couldn't get into the account. The only reason I found out is because we both have seperate accounts and at the time I would transfer a portion of his paycheck to my account to pay bills. When I called to this the following week I couldn't log into the account because he changed the PIN. I raised hell about it and he put me back on it.
    I think if I had actually wiped his bank account clean like I could have, he wouldn't have put me back on it either. I don't know if its right or wrong, but I do understand his apprehension. Maybe a talk about the situation again, and maybe some counseling, seems like there might be unresolved issues about the incident.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, you do not have to be there to be taken off an account. My MIL was still on DH's account when we got married, and we never had to have her there to take her off - he simply told the teller he was married, he needed his mom's name taken off the account and mine put on, and he was the only one who signed anything. So maybe it's some banks, but not all banks. Years ago before I met DH I had a joint account with someone else, I first took him off, then days later closed it out, and he was never present or signed anything - and I wasn't even the primariy name on it. It all depends on the bank.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, taking money out of an account that was earmarked for bills would cause me to not want you back on my account either. I get the reason why you did it, but you did go back, and it sounds like you and hubby have a lot to work through.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010