When did you switch from formula to regular milk?

The doctor told me that we coudl start switching over at 11.5 months but I was thinking of keeping him on until 13 months. I just feel nervous about switching him because formula has a ton of nutrtion in it that he needs. Is it too early?

tarakenyon06

Asked by tarakenyon06 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i began "transitioning them" around 11 to 11 and a half months. the way i did it, i added one ounce of milk and took away one ounce of formula each week. for example, all my dd's drank 6 ounces at that age. so the first week i'd give them 5 ounces of formula and an ounce of milk. the next week, switch it to 2 milk 3 formula. so on and so forth til it's straight milk. however many ounces your baby drinks will be how many weeks the transition will take, most of the time it will be after their first birthday as recommended. i like to go about it this way to get their tummies "use" to the milk & weaned off formula slowly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You can wait until 13 months. I switched at 1 year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I switched at a year. We slowly started mixing milk into his formula until he was drinking all milk. He has no problems at all adjusting to it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 12 mos. Most of their nutrition should be coming from food by then. But my kids are both lactose intolerant so we had to go with Lactaid milk.
    JefferJo

Answer by JefferJo at 1:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We transitioned him starting at 11 months and he was fully off my 12 months
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• oh and i should add that i meant 6 ounces per bottle. not per day lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We switched over at 1 year.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 12 months old is the recommended age.
    HKittyCrzy

Answer by HKittyCrzy at 2:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I say you should take him off when you feel you are ready. My son was a preemie and I kept him on formula until he was 2 .My youngest son was also a preemie and he will be 3 years old this month and I still give him formula because he is so small.Do what you feel is needed because lets face it doctors can and have been wrong!
    tylersmom1976

Answer by tylersmom1976 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I did it after his 1st birthday but I did it ounce of real milk and the rest forumla to give his system time to adjust.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010