Do you give juice out of a bottle or sippy cup?

I want to give my son more water and juice but I don't want him to drink it out of a bottle so that he can get used to using the sippy cup, but I worry that he is not getting enough fluid during the day. He has tears and wet diapers, and really has given no indication that he needs more fluid, but it has been on my mind. If i give him the water and juice out of a bottle, will it deter him from wanting to use the sippy cup?

tarakenyon06

Asked by tarakenyon06 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sippy cup is how we do it. Try using a sippy cup for only juice and water so he can get use to so when's a a year and you take him off a bottle the sippy doesn't seem foreign to him
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son never liked juice and since most of it is just sugar, he only got water and I used a sippy - I would say tears and wet diapers, you need to realize its just in your head and he is fine and hydrated
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never gave juice at all. I just didn't get when I should. If they drank, it was formula. I think you should only put those drinks in a cup. They only need a little bit of juice, if any.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I got rid of the bottle when he was off of formula. It was milk in a sippy or water (my son used to get bad diarrhea with juice). Shortly after he was on sippy cup alone, I introduced a straw sippy cup. There had been a few times I was caught without his sippy cup and realized he needed to learn how to use a straw. I am SO glad he knows how to drink out of a straw now. So much easier.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• sippy cup
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 2:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• First off, how old is the baby? Before a year, they really do not need any juice, and water isn't really necessary either unless it is super hot outside or they are ill and can't keep breastmilk or formula down, and even then it's minimal. If you're worried your baby isn't getting enough fluids during the day, you need to offer more formula or breastmilk (whichever you're doing), not add other fluids that can screw up the electrolytes & whatnot. But either way, put anything besides formula/breastmilk in a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• sippy cup with watered down juice.
    HKittyCrzy

Answer by HKittyCrzy at 2:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I was always told to put juice and milk in a sippy cup reason being bottles tend to cause cavities.
    tylersmom1976

Answer by tylersmom1976 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We only used a sippy for juice and water. They liked the juice, so it was incentive for them to use the sippy cups.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never gave juice. He got water in a sippy and didn't actually drink it until about 11-12 months. Nothing extra is needed until baby is at least a year old.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 5:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010