Grammar

Why does there always have to be someone that feels like they have to correct someone's grammar. I mean come on. I see alot of mistakes on here. I know I have my fair share on here also. We are mom's trying to help other Mom's, not the English teacher in high school. If you see bad grammar just be an adult and look over it. There are even some that are so bad I can't even understand it, I just skip them and go to the next. Why can't we all do that?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 2:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I am so with you on this! I am an English Major and multi-lingual. I see spelling and grammatical errors all the time. But, I don't call anyone out on it. I realize we are all human and not everyone here is "highly" educated or speaks English as their first language. I feel if you get the idea of the question, what does the spelling and grammar really matter. Sometimes I get in such a hurry to answer a question, I see typos in mine after I've posted it. In my world, we are all moms who depend on each other for the company, answers, convesation, ideas, advice, etc. Not college professors here to correct everyone else.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• As you said, we're all moms. As mothers, we are the example we set for our children, for good and for ill. If we cannot express ourselves properly with the written word, what kind of example are we setting for the children we're raising?

I can overlook some issues. Typos and some grammar errors are so common, that you almost don't even notice them anymore. However, if something is so poorly written that it can't be deciphered by the reader, then what help is that mother going to get? I'm not suggesting we get "Mean Girls" on someone for their grammar or spelling, but I see nothing wrong with asking for clarification or pointing out that the question doesn't make sense or is difficult to understand.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Some people just like to find fault in others
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 2:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I know that I have messed up when on here because I am trying to read and write while dealing with my child. I feel that if there are small mistakes that people should just look over them but it is the ones that make no sense that bother me.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree. From the way some people respond, you would think they've never made a spelling(or grammatical) error or typo in their entire life.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Because some people have nothing better to do and for some reason they feel better about themselves complaining over the tiny things
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Some grammar issues are obviously the results of type-os, rushing through, and/or just being overly causal on this site.  However, I have to say that some of the grammar issues I have seen are SO egregious that it seriously makes you wonder about the level of educationthe poster has... my 3rd grader wouldnt make some of those mistakes.

There are posts I have read that make me think the person posting is deaf or that English is their second language.... those very excusable and seem to have a certain cadence or understandable mistakes.

Anonymous

• Anon.- I know I make mistakes. If you read my post, you will see I admit I have and will continue. It is people like you I am complaining about.
    arenad

Comment by arenad (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• The Spelling Nazi and Grammar Gestapo are superior beings, don't you know?

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 4:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I concur!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 9:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010