Any sugesstions?

OK I have a German Sheppherd/Boxer mix. He is a HUGE dog. We have had him since he was a puppy, he is now 2yrs old. We just can't take care of him anymore. We have 2 kids and 1 on the way. He is left out and I want him to be played with or needed more. He is a great gaurd dog and thats why I am hessitant to get rid of him. But our kids are Young and dont "play" with him. Although he is GREAT with kids he is not so much with adults he doesn't know. Even our family and friends. That is why we don't just take him to a aspca because we know they would think he was mean and kill him. But he really isn't. Not to us. Anyway. Any sugesstions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pets

• Try a free to good home ad. You can interview anyone interested. Check around for dog society's that take boxer or shep breeds. See if they have a service to seek out a new owner for dogs
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would say as long as he has shelter, food and water, maybe something to play with...he should be fine. Do you make it a available for him to move around easy....ya know with a long tie, or that is moveable along another chain so he can run back and forth? When you can go outside and be with him as much as you can....I personally don't like any animal left outside but that's me...some people do. Is there anyway you can make a change slowly to add him into the family and then he will be inside most of the time? I don't know really...but having a BIG dog can be difficult..and it sure would be sad if you took him in...but it's understandable..my daughter has a big dog name Fred but he is so sweet and he is even careful around my 15 oz chihuahua! Good luck!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• We don't play with our dogs often (big dogs). But we have 2 and when they go outside they wear each other out, haha. Maybe once your hubby gets home you guys could take the kids and dog for a walk...make it a routine so the dog is getting exercise. (assuming you live in the south where it isnt as cold.) Otherwise, just make sure dog toys and such are always available to him and it should be just fine. Maybe when the kids are a little older they'll take more interest in him.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• As a former trainer, I will tell you that the best thing to do for this dog if you seriously don't think you can give him what he needs is to rehome him. There are no kill shelters that will find him a new home.
    A dog cannot be left to his own devices with little interaction by his owners and be ok. They just can't. This kind of neglect will inevitably cause aggression in the dog. Seeing as how this is a working breed, this would be hazardous to the children involved. Not a good mix.
    I've seen it happen as a trainer.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:47 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I can't believe people get pets of any kind and just because you have children or your life changes why does everyone thing they need to get rid of them. It amazes me. Would you get rid of your children?? Same thing. You got the dog, you should take responsibility for it. That's why so many dogs are put to sleep and killed. Don't buy or get an animal if it's not going to be for life and if you think you can't take care of it and give it love then don't get one.
    Anonymous

• GO ON CRAIGSLIST.COM GO TO PETS YOU CAN POST HIM ON THERE THEY MAKE YOU CHARGE A REHOMING FEE DON'T PUT FREE THEY WILL FLAG YOU ! TRY YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER ! LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF THEY HAVE NO KILL SHELTERS IN YOUR AREA SOMETIMES THEY HAVE A RESCUE FOR CERTAIN BREEDS ! ALOT OF PEOPLE WANT OLDER DOGS NOT PUPPYS ! GOOD LUCK PLEASE DON'T TAKE HIM TO A KILL SHELTER !!!
    Anonymous

• Im sorry you have to let your dog go, hon
    but if he isnt happy there then...maybe he should find a new home. placing an ad in the NP or online will help
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i agree with the craigslist..you can interview everyone and you decide who the dog goes to..thats where i got my puppy...i was talking back and forth for a week before i was the one who was chose for their pup.. or definately try the no kill shelters. i've never heard of a shep boxer mix..can i see a pic?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i would contact a boxer or Shepard rescue and see if they can help you place him
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008