Since girls menstruate earlier these days then they used to 10, 20 or 30 years ago, does that mean they'll go into menopause earlier?

My sister, who is 10 years older than me, was shocked to her that I got it at the age of 11. She did when she was 16. And that's just 10 years between us!
Does that mean your fertile period in life just "moves"?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Health

• I don't know, but that'd be sweet. Get it over with!
    Anonymous

• Yes,u will go into menopause earlier. It is a medical fact.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• well what does it really matter. you'll still be fertile in your 20s and early thirties. you don't need to be fertile in your 40s so why does it matter if you go through the change in your 40s
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Women are born with a finite number of eggs that they can lose during menstruation. So yes, if a women starts younger she will also run out of eggs younger. But she's still fertile for about the same number of years as someone who starts later.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well, then I am a medical oddity. Because my mom started her periods at 16. I started at 13. She went through menopause at 45. I'm 51 and still not even in peri-menopause. I was so looking forward to my 40's cuz I totally believed I would be done with this. But, no such luck! so, to say definitvely that if you start earlier you will end earlier is incredibly inaccurate. There is no set number of years that a woman menstruates before she goes through menopause. Menopause is hormonally indicated, not time indicated.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My mom and I menstruated at the same age (11). She's 30 years older than I am.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, actually they will menstruate longer. Late starters are also early menopausal.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That would be awesome! Its werid there is almost 10years between my cousin and I. I was 13 when "it" happened, she was 18. I have no clue but that would be awesome because I hate taking birth control. It makes me crazy!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• To depressedmom65,your information is wrong.
    Anonymous

• True, women are believed to be born with a finite number of eggs. This means a woman is born with all the eggs she will ever produce. It does not mean ALL women are born with the same amount. On top of that, new research has indicated that women may possibly produce eggs to replace damaged eggs after birth. Here is an article substantiating this. http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20040310/women-not-born-lifetime-eggs

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010