How do you know when a cough becomes something serious?

My ds is 5 months and has a runny nose and cough that sounds a little flemmy but nothing comes out. Its been about a week. Just wana know when I should get worried, or if its just a normal cold. Thanx yall

JunebugsMomma8

Asked by JunebugsMomma8 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it starts sounding like a bark or they cough so much/bad its hard for them to breathe
    Try using a humidifier in his room at night. Give hi a war bath a night to help break it down
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I was always told if a cough lasted a week, take the in. I stick with that rule even now, and some of the docs in our practice won't even see a child unless they've been coughing a week, unless there is more to it. So, since it's been a week, if it was my baby, I'd be on the phone making an appointment.
    Anonymous

• Since it has been a week I would call because it should by now at less be getting better.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• if it effects their sleep make an appointment.
    happychic

Answer by happychic at 2:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Phlem can be a sign of something more serious, but that usually comes with more symptoms. Like a spiked fever, chills, and things of that nature. If she has a runny nose then that's a good sign that the phlem is moving. Just keep her warm (but not too warm), make sure you have a humidifier to keep the air moist, and keep giving her lots of fluids. If she starts weezing, the cough becomes dry and raspy to the point of her having trouble getting a breath then take her to the doctor. If the phlem doesn't seem to break up and the cough becomes loud and hard then take her to the doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0816/is_10_22/ai_n16880351/
    http://pediatrics.about.com/od/yourbabyweekbyweek/ss/baby_wk_forteen_4.htm

Here are just a couple websites that may help you. If you are ever in doubt please to not hesitate to call your Pediatrician. They are thier to take care of your child. You should never worry about being a paranoid mother.
    karenmarie1971

Answer by karenmarie1971 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010