I'm about 8 weeks prego with my first child and My mom saved my Jenny Lind crib she had when I was a baby so that I could use it when I have one. It's from 1985 and I feel kind of unsure about using it since it's so old. I would assume that there are new safetey regulations by now so I dont know if it's safe. I would like to hear other people's opinions about it.

Mayalu

Asked by Mayalu at 2:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it was me I would use a more up to date one. It will just make me feel safer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• please buy a new one. i read somewhere that it should be no more than 5 years old and make sure it hasnt been recalled (like all drop side cribs).
    HKittyCrzy

Answer by HKittyCrzy at 2:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would be worried about how safe it is and buy a newer one.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• do you have all the parts and you cant fit a popcan through the bars? I am using my cousins from `1992 and have for all my 3 kids
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think that the old one does not have the slates closer together so I would find out what the difference is and maybe turn the old one into something for the baby later. I would want one that I did not have to worry about dry rott or baby getting struck in .
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I may be in for a bashing but I would at least put it together and see. Check to make sure its sturdy, all pieces are tight and maybe evn like shake on it a bit to simulate what a baby would put it through and see what you think.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 2:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Things back then were made to last. These days, even furniture is made badly to keep the market going. I have used cribs that were 30+ years old and they lasted longer than the new ones. Just check it over really good for instability and check online for recalls on it.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'd be willing to bet its still good. They made things alot better back then. Just check with the regulations about how far apart the slats should be for safety.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No I would not used it, to unsafe. If it has a side you can lower, its against the law anyway.
    happychic

Answer by happychic at 2:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, don't use it. The bars on the railings r too far apart. too unsafe for baby. Tell your mom that u appreciate it but because of all the safety recalls and safety changes,u need to buy a new one.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010