Does being a Christian wife mean that a woman HAS to be a SAHM?

I kinda feel like that's how I should feel, but I can't seem to talk myself into it. Am I just being rebellious against my role in this season of life, or is it perfectly ok for a Christian woman to want to work outside the home? (Note; I said WANT...not necessarily NEED)

And do me a favor... if you don't believe in God, or if you are going to Christian-bash in any way... please don't respond to this question. I really only want input from Christian moms. Thanks.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 2:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't think being a Christian wife means we have to be SAHMs. I was a SAHM for six years (with the exception of not quite two years that I was in school full-time and using child care). I loved it and I'm glad I did it, but I have to admit that I have missed working. DD is in Kindergarten now and I will be getting a job as an R.N. in the next month or so, so DS will be in child care about three days a week. I still have the mommy guilt, but in our case we are badly in debt from living on DH's small income.

Even if you can afford to stay home FT, I don't think you should feel like you have to do so. We are not all happy doing exactly the same thing. This is a decision you should make with your husband, and nobody else should tell you what you ought to be doing.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, I don't think thats what it means. If your husband wants you to stay home then I would say that would be the right thing to, submission etc. But if its something you guys discuss and agree on then your not in rebellion for wanting to work outside the home. You can still do your job as a wife and mother while working, I do it every single day :0)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No. I am a christian and have never been a sahm. My dh feels the same way. I know many christian women that have never been sahms. My mom is not. My dad is even pastor/preacher.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to work and be a mom. In the Proverbs 31 description of a good woman it says "She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." and "She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes." To me these both describe working moms, though more of a work at home kind of mom. In those days, though, that was about all a woman could do. Now we have more options, don't feel bad for taking advantage of opportunities available to you. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I believe that being a Christian is an action along with a lifestyle but it does not dictate whether you should work outside the home or SAH. That is a personal decision based upon the needs and desires of your family.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I feel that it is perfectly ok for you to work outside of the home as long as there are no small children needing you at home. If your children are of the age where they are able to care for their needs themselves, then go for it. Make sure that God remains First, Family second and Career third.
    angel708

Answer by angel708 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, you have to do whats best for yourself and your family.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Why would it mean you had to be a SAHM?
    I think if you want to work than go work.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Let me paraphrase Proverbs 31 for ya..."I can bring home the bacon, fry it up on a pan, and never let you forget you're a man..cause I'm a woman to be praised for going out to provide for my family. "
    Read it for yourself.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010