My 10 week old will not go to sleep or nap without being rocked to sleep. How do I break this habbit I conditioned him into?

It's my fault he adapted to falling asleep in my arms because he had bad reflux after feeding from both breast and bottle so the pediatrician told me to hold him inclined or upright on my chest for up to 10 mins after feeding. Now he can't go to sleep when I try to put him down sleepy but still awake.

MamaLogan85

Asked by MamaLogan85 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's a baby.. hold him if he needs it.. love him and feed him - that's all they need at this age..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter liked to sleep on me when she was younger. I was able to transfer her to a bouncy seat to go take a shower or do some housework. You could give that a try since he wouldn't be laying flat.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• He is only 10 weeks old. This is not a problem, it is soothing and comforting to your baby. It promotes bonding and trust. And, it is SUCH a short time in their lives. Enjoy this cuddle time before it is gone.

Also, if you are not swaddling them well, that sense of security when being put down is not being met. Swaddling helps babies to feel secure, as do mommy's arms.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• At ten weeks?You can't. He's programmed for this and it is NOT a bad habit. Better to deprogram the people who mistakenly think you're doing a bad thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You didn't "do" anything but properly care for your child. Most babies won't fall asleep by themselves, so it's definitely not your doing, it's just the way babies are programed.

Rock him to sleep... in another few years he won't let you, so enjoy it while you can!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am in the same boat! My son is 8 months and had reflux. We held him until he fell asleep. I hold him in the rocking chair at night...without rocking and when his eyes start to drop I put him in the crib. Seems to be working. My problem is he isn't sleeping through the night...
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 3:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• tuck a heating pad into the babies crib (before putting your baby in) once the baby is tired but not asleep take the heating pad out and lay the baby in the crib and place your hand on him. For me it took about 5 days of doing this for bed and two naps a day. hope this helps
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• if you really want to break the habit then just let him cry. he is 10 weeks old he wont cry for long. if he keeps crying you should rub his tummy and talk to him softly. that will help calm him down in his bassinet/crib.

my daughter got used to me bouncing her in the bouncer. every time i stopped she fussed. well, i can't bounce her forever. so i let her be. she fussed a little bit for like 5 seconds and passed out. she was fine.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010