Touching kids during the holidays.....

Since it's the holidays AND cold and flu season do you regulate who touches your kids during this time of year? OR do you have instant hand sanitizer around and have people use that before touching?

I have 2 kids under 2 years old. The doctor recommended not to let a lot of people touch either child even though one is 17 months but the other is almost 9 weeks. I just got a flu shot myself and my 17 month old just got her 2nd dose today and the doctor told me today.

How should I handle this? Just say no touching because the doctor says so or only let a few people touch and take extra precautions? If I go with the no touching at all I'd have to told both kids all the time cause hubby's family will take the kids right from you.

I don't want either of my kids getting sick though. My niece was just admitted to the hospital due to sickness and she's 4 years old.

What to do?

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i take no extra precautions other than staying away from sick people. Your doctor seems a little over the top
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would have hand sanitizer and ask family to use it before holding the youngest baby. Otherwise I wouldnt worry about it at family gatherings. I wouldnt want strangers touching my baby but I would let my family hold the baby for sure.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't worry about it. I let who wants to hold baby hold baby.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• LMBO!  Gee Wiz how 0LD is your doctor??!!  Im what some would consider middle age and I think that sounds like someones crazed old auntie talking.

Kids get sick... end of story.  You can not keep them in a bubble.  Unless your particular child has a serious underlying issue I think it is simply nutz to alter your life every time someone sneezes.

Anonymous

• There chances of getting sick out in public are even greater. I agree that that the doc. is gettig carried away.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 3:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would not let anyone that as obviously sick touch them, but all others i would not have a problem with them holding and touching my kids. I would carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and dole it out as they come around. It is not fair for the relatives to not be able to hug and love the babies. JMO.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It used to stress me out alot when mine were a little younger, but there is really nothing you can do to keep family from touching your kids, unless you want to seem like a complete germaphobe in front of everyone, and people would probably get mad at you, My advice is that you keep you "mobile kid" clean, use sanitizer, and maybe you could politely ask your family to also use some of your sanitizer, before holding your baby. Have fun this Holiday and don't stress so much!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Just not let sick people touch or hold them. I agree with mommy2JoshnJake. Sounds a little too much to me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• BTW... I think MOST resonalbe adults do not bring sick kids around others and MOST reasonable adults do not cough or offer to hold young children when they are sick.

IF you have a realitive that is so out of touch with common curtisy that they would consider holding a baby when they have the flu.. that is a whole different story.
    Anonymous

• FYI - she couldn't have caught that from your MIL. Sickness doesn't spread that fast. It would take at least a few days for symptoms to show. She caught that somewhere else.
    Anonymous