When you host the holiday dinner do you do the majority of the cooking or is it pot luck?

I am doing Christmas Eve for my inlaws. My mother in law is a HORRIBLE cook so she gets appitizers and dessert and I do everything else! A request from DH so we are having turkey and the trimmings

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 3:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• DH and I do all the cooking together.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 4:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I always do all the cooking. I love it. My Dad though loves to bring desert. So that is fine with me. But this year with a new baby. At Thanksgiving they helped bring things and will do again for Christmas.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I like to do it all... that way I know that everything is timed correctly and will be on the table when hot. Also I know the size of my dishes so I can plan ahead to make sure all dishes fit in to the ovens properly.

If people call and ask I DO give them something to bring like rolls, salad, or cookies... depending on what their strengths are. If I know they dont like to cook but are just being nice I suggest wine.

Anonymous

• I do the bigger things. Then the guests bring a dish.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We try to do potluck, so the burden is not put on just one, we have a large family.
    redtree5

Answer by redtree5 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Pot luck since its' easier and cheaper that way!!!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I wish we could do a pot-luck but my in-laws DO NOT cook..they don't even own plates! (I have no idea how my husband turned out so good..his family is totally different!)
    They usually offer to bring something and I suggest dessert or drinks..something that is easy to get pre-made at a store.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When I host, I host...I do it all. When people offer to bring something I usually suggest wine or dessert.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I do everything, and if someone wants to bring something that's fine as well. I love to cook!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have always cooked the majority of the food, but I will ask people to bring a small dish. I am a control freak and like to have all of that under my control.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010