what age did you allow your child to go to fridge unsupervised?

my oldest is in kindergarten and I still keep him out of it, unless I am right there to help. But I remember when I was his age I'd make myself a sandwich or even a piece of toast!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son is three and is allowed into cupboards that have kid snacks, and I am thinking about putting a few juice or milk sippy cups in the fridge so he can reach them. he is great about staying out of things when told.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• like the fridgerator? my 2 year old goes and gets his own capri sun and brings it to me. my 4 year old will open it up and bring me cheese or drinks or whatever..but there more interested in the snack shelf in the pantry :D
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 3:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• depends on the child and what they wanted to eat. I usually keep carrots, fresh fruit, etc. on the bottom shelf and they were allowed to get it on their own. But they always knew that if they did something they shouldnt that the privilege would be revoked.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have a 2 year old and 4 year old and they are aloud to get in there themselves... they know they are aloud to only get certain things ( juice box, yogurt, gogurt, etc) ....
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 3:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I let my 28 month old in the fridge, he's allowed to take apples and other fruit from the bottom drawer
    sometimes if he's holding the door open for more then a couple of minutes I tell him the fridge needs to stay cold and get him
    to close the door. I keep an eye in his direction when he's in there though, he has a messy fascination with eggs!
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 5:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 3.5 yrs old. she is a good girl
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2010