12 month old fights going to sleep.

My daughter just fights me like her life depends on it every time I try to put her down for naps and at night. It's really getting ridiculous and I am at my wits end. She wakes up almost every night I haven't had a full nights rest in almost 2 months now.
this is her schedule:
7am wakes up
then we do a bottle, breakfast like oatmeal or something, play for a while
10:30-11 she goes down for her 1st nap
she really usually only sleeps for about 20 minutes.
she then goes down for her next nap at around 230 or 3
again only a 15 minute nap or so.
then we eat dinner around 5:30
bath at 6
we have quite play time till 7 in which I put her down to sleep.

I am working on transitioning her to 1 nap a day, I figured that would be the problem. But then I put her down after lunch time, at which point she is incredibly cranky. and she only takes a 20 minute naps which does not last her till 7. But the time its dinner time she's yawning, throwing tantrums, the works.

I even went as far as to try putting her down at 6pm just to see if that would makes things better. then she doesn't fight me but she wakes up 2 hours later. If I put her down this early its almost like she thinks that's her nap or something.

I don't know what to do anymore. I love her with all my heart but this entire nap thing is driving me up the wall.

Can anyone please give me advice as to what to do about this?

Deederzsaurus

Asked by Deederzsaurus at 3:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she still needs 2 naps a day. I would watch for her sleepy signs, and at the first sight of them, I would put her down in her crib and close the door. She needs to learn to put herself to sleep. She will probably cry, but just go to the door and let her know you are there. Once she learns to put herself to sleep, she will sleep longer. Then do the exact same thing in the afternoon. It will be harder on you than on her, but if she wakes up in 20 minutes, don't go get her. Let her learn to put herself back to sleep or let her learn to entertain herself while she remains awake. I spoiled mine by running to them every time they whimpered. Not a good idea!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sounds like she still needs two naps a day.

You may find it easier to help her sleep if you lay down with her --she'll likely sleep more soundly, fall asleep more easily and sleep longer. And, you'll get more rest, too, which I have never known a mother of a toddler not to need.

Small children know that when they're alone they're in danger. They don't know about locks or doors, or even kind and thoughtful burglars who don't just smash windows... and they know they're safe when they can feel, smell and see their parents. When you are not there, she is probably rousing to find out where you are --not because she's had enough sleep.

Generally, people sleep better when they're well rested than when they're overtired, so holding off on extra sleep during the day is more likely to make nighttime sleeping worse, not better.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I dont know how to reply to individual post so I will just do this:
    @linda that makes a lot of sense. I read this big ol' article on how the only reason babies even wake up is to look for danger. Because back in the caveman days or whatever it was instinct to look for danger and threats. I don't know if you mean lay down with her in her crib or on my bead, because I don't see how I can lay down with her in her crib? but I tried a bunch of times in my bed and then she wakes up when I go to put her down. But I do agree with the overtired part. I find that she is ten times harder to put down at night if she hasn't had two naps.
    Deederzsaurus

Comment by Deederzsaurus (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010