What will help?

My two year old's hair doesn't grown around the edges, just on top of her head and in the back. That's about 6 inches long but all around it's maybe 3 inches. My sister said to cut it and then it'll start growing, but I'm afraid it won't and will look even worse. Any suggestions?

badgirl44654

Asked by badgirl44654 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Yikes - don't cut experiment with hair accessories

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You'd be amazed how many things you can do to the ends of hair that have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the growth --shape, colour or speed. It's a fun idea, isn't it: cutting the bottoms off hair will somehow magically affect the follicles. Not possible.

The only thing you can do from the outside to hair follicles is damage them. Unless you're looking for rogain for toddlers, there is nothing at all you can do about the fact that you accidentally gave your daughter slow-hair growing genes. Maybe you could try again?

If you cut her hair so it is even at the ends, it will appear to be fuller. It will grow the way it grows and there is nothing you can do about that.

I have one 1.5"/month hair growth daughter and one with 1" every three months. They would often like to trade places... but they're stuck with what they have, too.

If she's as healthy as she can be, with excellent food and enough water and rest, that's it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There is nothing you can do. Just wait. Enjoy her baldy days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my dd was born she was completely bald, her hair came in so slow that I thought she would never have hair..lol..but after like 15 mths old it started coming in but mostly on top and it got so long with hardley any on the sides,her Dad and I both have very thick hair too.then around 2 it really all started growing in all over and a friend of mine was a beautician and cut it on the ends because it was stragly looking, after that it came in beautifully and thick,out of my 4 kids she has the thickest hair of all. So I was told to cut it too, im sure it will grow in fine and look good.
    karencrouch

Answer by karencrouch at 3:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• She has hair and I can put it in a pony tail or pigtails but all around the edges the little short pieces come loose. So most of the time I just brush that stuff down since it will fall down anyway. And just put the longer stuff up. I don't know how to post pictures or I would post one so you guys could really see what I mean. When she was born she had tons of hair, but now it's just not growing.
    badgirl44654

Comment by badgirl44654 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. The roots of your hair have no idea what is happening to the tips of your hair, so cutting it won't help, unless you want to go very short to make it all one length and hope it all grows at the same speed. My three year old DD hair is only to her shoulders! Her hair is so fine and was uneven. She had her first hair cut a few month ago. we gave her bangs to help with her cow lick, and trimmed the back to help even it out. I waited a few more months and did the same thing. You may have to just trim it every few months until it is all the same length.
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 3:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010