Do you have a drop-side crib? Guess they are banned on re-sale.

Both my kids were in that type of crib and survived ...

tasches

Asked by tasches at 3:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah my daughter still sleeps in one of the Storkcraft ones. I've contacted them several times and requested the replacement hardware but they keep telling me there was a problem with their website and they didn't get my information. They even went as far as to send me a link and tell me the cribs that are being recalled are at the 3:00 minute mark of a video on youtube. I wish there was some way I could report the company. I don't have money to buy her a new crib or I would.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• The crib my son used was a drop rail crib and it was recalled twice. I got replacement parts for the crib to make it not a drop rail for when we do have a next one but with his crib already having 2 recalls I don't think I will take my chances of using it again I will just go out a buy a new one when time comes.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree w/pp regarding " If manufacturers spent more time making quality products and less time making as much money as possible, maybe it wouldn't be an issue"...but I don't think OP was saying she was ok w/someone else's child dying.

My daughter, age 4 had a drop side crib. Her baby sister, who is 8 months old, uses it now. I think manufacturers need to make more reliable products and parents need to be more careful.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I still use my drop side crib. I wouldn't resell it but also not going to buy a new one. Just have to be cautious of what your doing and the safety of your kids.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I used drop-side cribs for all 3 of mine, but they were the older ones that were well-made, not the cheap ones that are mass-produced for quick profit.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I got rid of my dropside crip and bought a new one at OnceUponAChild at a reasonable price.It is a second hand store that we live by. We couldnt afford a new crib, but i also did not want to take the chance of my child being injured or worse.....death. I just had to fit it into my budget and it was worth it.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Use one for my son. He survived...... they can still be dangerous though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• DS is in a drop side. It's the same one DD survived in. I am not going to purchase a new one, for he'll be in a toddler bed in a good 9 months anyway.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I used a dropside for all 5 of my kids. I did get the replacement hardware for it, but my first 4 survived without it.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• People survive falls from airplanes and 15 story buildings, too. So?

It's called 'crib death' because the cribs themselves are as often implicated in death and injury in infants as anything else. If manufacturers spent more time making quality products and less time making as much money as possible, maybe it wouldn't be an issue... but it is. And it will remain so. Drop side cribs are unstable, have moving parts that can slide and slip because their accuracy tolerances and materials specifications are far too lax to be safe... so every now and then they kill children.

I suppose as long as it's not your kid who dies, you're okay with that?

I'm not.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010