I am dying inside. Need advice from someone who's lived through a 6 year old son

My boy is in kindergarten (very small private Christian school) and has been, apparently, kissing girls at lunch. The staff is so disturbed that they are assigning him a lunch aide til the behavior is gone.

Is that seriously not age appropriate behavior? Is it deviant? I totally remember a little hand holding and kissing at that age. And this is pecks, of course, nothing adult or creepy.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I remember kissing in the concrete tunnels etc. Think its normal.
    Dezitwins

Answer by Dezitwins at 9:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Your title scared the crap out of me! I thought something had happened to him.

I also have a 6 yr old. If he was "in trouble" for this I would not be worried. My husband would probably give him a high-five. Please don't freak out over it, he's a little boy.

It's a huge issue because of the school he is in. I removed my son from a private school for a similar reason. He's now in public and has never been in trouble.

Everything is ok, hugs.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Whoa..I have no advice and my Son is half your son's age..just wanted to bump for you.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• rolling on floorkiss

oh you have a total romeo on your hands.  If they are simply cheek kisses and he isnt chasing the girls and holding them down.. I dont see it as deviant.  Just a little boy who has a bit more testosterone than the others.  Just keep him in check and talk about personal space, etc.  He will be fine. 

Im betting you and hubby have a good marriage and he sees kissing as an expression of love and friendship.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think its age appropriate! My son just turned 7 and him and the little neighbor girl got caught holding hands... We did not over react and they are no longer in love lol. Its the overreacting that make them continue to do these things. Your funny and your son is normal :0)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Im betting you and hubby have a good marriage and he sees kissing as an expression of love and friendship.
    ---------------------
    ^^^ I agree :)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My little brother used to pull down their panties... no foolin'. Everybody was horrified but he stopped doing it eventually. His rock throwing stage lasted for years tho and cost us a whole lot of frustration and restitution before it passed. People are so uptight about everything today and I think it's unfortunate we continue to treat girls as victims. I wouldn't worry about his behavior yet, you'll have plenty of opportunity for that once he's a teenager.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 3:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I remember having a "boyfriend" in 1st grade and every day at recess I'd make him kiss me in front of all his friends haha. I never once got in trouble. Maybe it's just because of the school's religious beliefs? Have you asked your son why he likes kissing all the girls?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• TOOOOOOOTALLY appropriate!! It is the school he is in. I agree 100% w/1st poster.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• "He's been called (by other parents) some pretty harsh things from flamboyant to flat out gay-boy (yes, at 3, 4, and 5 years old)"

Good GOD! That's HORRIBLE.

He sounds VERY normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010