Does anyone have a child with an extra tooth? Need advice.

My daughter who is 11 has an extra full grown tooth in the back of her upper molar. I took her to the dentist and they referred me to an orthodontist for braces. I haven't taken her yet, but my question is why can't the tooth be pulled? The dentist says why pull a good tooth? Well, to avoid her the pain of braces which i know all about, since i had them for 3 years. I had 4 molars pulled to space out my teeth for braces, so i dont understand why they cant' just pull one. This tooth does bother her at times, especially when she talks i can tell its bothering her, but i dont understand why the need for braces. They want to space out her teeth and pull this one forward. So, my question is has anyone had a child with an extra tooth that was just pulled?? I dont want to get jiffed and pay for $5,0000 braces if i really don't need to, and put my daughter through that pain.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Check with another dentist.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My brother had an extra tooth that was recently pulled. They pulled it the same time they took out 2 of his wisdom teeth. Is there room in her mouth for her extra tooth? I would hate for you to spend all that money on braces (unless they are needed for her other teeth) for you to just end up having to get it pulled after all.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks Krystal, well i would have to look at her mouth, but pulling it would make more sense to me since all her other teeth are fine. Thanks for your reply.
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010