Does anyone have a child with an extra tooth? Need advice.

My daughter who is 11 has an extra full grown tooth in the back of her upper molar. I took her to the dentist and they referred me to an orthodontist for braces. I haven't taken her yet, but my question is why can't the tooth be pulled? The dentist says why pull a good tooth? Well, to avoid her the pain of braces which i know all about, since i had them for 3 years. I had 4 molars pulled to space out my teeth for braces, so i dont understand why they cant' just pull one. This tooth does bother her at times, especially when she talks i can tell its bothering her, but i dont understand why the need for braces. They want to space out her teeth and pull this one forward. So, my question is has anyone had a child with an extra tooth that was just pulled?? I dont want to get jiffed and pay for $5,0000 braces if i really don't need to, and put my daughter through that pain.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If her smile is straight without them then find a dentist who will pull it! I had the same thing happen. I had an extra tooth behind my other teeth on my bottom row. For years dentists said I should get braces. Finally I found a dentist who would just pull the darn thing and my smile still looks GREAT AND STRAIGHT without the braces!! I didn't want to go through the pain either or the hassle. At the end of the day do what you and your child thinks is best for them! Good luck!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 1:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My 14 yr old son has the exact same thing. They placed braces on him first, just a week ago actually, and then will decide what to pull. Mine will probably need two teeth pulled.

Maybe find a new orthodontist too. We got the "holiday special" with zero down and only $80/month for two years. Covers braces & retainers.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Nope,
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I had an extra tooth and had it pulled and then had braces too. My 14 yr old had 10 teeth pulled because he didn't have enough room in his mouth for all his adult teeth, he will also need braces to straighten the rest of his teeth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• BRACES!!! They don't just straighten teeth, they correct bites and help the person chew their food better, making digestion better. They allow the teeth to seat better lessening the chances of major TMJ issues.

Braces to day are far less painful than they were even 5-10 years ago. Not to mention the self-esteem booster that having a straighter smile has.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010