Problems with night waking: screaming. How do I get it under control?

My son started to sleep through the night with no problems at 3 months. Since day light savings we have been having problems sleeping. He wakes up 45 min- 1.5hr after going to bed and then 2-3x throughout the night. Most of the time he is asleep but screaming.

I noticed last night that he throws his arms in the air which wakes him.???? No idea what that is about.

He has a bottle and cereal at 7:30-8pm and goes to bed between 8:30-9pm. He has the same routine as my daughter. Bath, story time, quiet time and bed.

I am tired. I am lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. What to do?

Teething. He already broke his top teeth through and I don't feel anything else in there. Tlynenol doesn't even seem to help.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 3:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It happens to a lot of children. The biggest thing you have to realize is that your child is not awake even when the eyes are open and words come out. Any interaction you have with the child can make it worse or go on longer. It is heartbreaking to listen and see but your best bet is to just watch and be sure the child is not doing anything to harm himself. It lasted about three weeks with my son then just went away.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It sounds like night terrors. Is he aware during this? If not, then it's something that he will not remember. They do go thru phases of this.

A nightmare, they will 'see' you when you are in front of them but a night terror, they will not acknowledge that you are there or that they even see you. Touching them during a night terror will only make the terror worse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• He may be having night terrors (although multiple times in a night is a pretty strange thing)... but it seems a little regular for that.

Embrace the possibility that he's genuinely hungry and be prepared to feed him. You need not warm a bottle, but it should stay refrigerated until needed --kids don't care if it's body temperature, parents do --and I have no idea why. It's actually better cold, because it doesn't taste so gross that way. And, it's less likely to grow packs of bacteria so quickly as it does at body temperature. Or keep dry, non-perishable but filling foods at his bedside.

Growing children grow in their sleep --burning nearly as many calories through the night as they do when they're roaring around during the day. You can no more feed him any kind or amount of food before 11pm that will satisfy his night hunger than you can eat something specific or enough on Sunday to avoid needing to eat before Wednesday.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010