• In the Spotlight:

im 34 wks and went into the hospital yesterday and found out that im 1cm dialated and 50% thined out but the baby is still to high how can i help him drop down?

sherryfeltner

Asked by sherryfeltner at 9:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my first dropped when i took a 8 hr car trip... and u will know when the baby drops to u can feel the difference
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I don't really think that at 34 weeks you would really want to speed him along. Let him come when he's ready.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• He is premature right now and Lungs are more than likely not developed.. Why would they even check to see if you are dilating now?...Seems weird that doesn't normally start until 37-38 weeks...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I know the feeling of wanting to have the baby, but at this point the baby's lung are not developed and would be born premature. The earliest you can safely have the baby it when you are term at 37 wks, but even then some doctors aren't very comfortable till 38 wks. And if you are having a boy they have a harder time than girls when they are born early.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 10:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Yeah that's weird that they're checking you at 34 weeks. My doctor isn't even going to consider checking me until I'm 36 weeks (I'm 34 weeks today). Have you had any preterm labor issues?

I know the feeling of wanting to have your baby in your arms, believe me. But like everyone else said, it's just not time yet. If you absolutely refuse to wait any longer though, we can't stop you. I suggest walking around some so maybe gravity can take effect and make the baby drop. But it probably wouldn't be the best decision in the end...just try and hold out for a few more weeks, it'll be worth it!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You can try different things but your baby will most likely do it on their own :]

Careful about trying anything to induce him/her till you're 37 weeks or else they'll take your baby away right after they're born to help him/her breathe because (like everyone else said) your babys lungs aren't developed enough to work on their own.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with the other women. If your baby comes now there are very high chances that he will be in the NICU, because his lungs aren't ready for another 3 weeks or so. As hard as it is, just be patient. I was 1 cm and 50% at 36 weeks and my son wasn't born until 40.5 weeks.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I wouldnt try to make him drop. I would be laying down taking it easy. You dont want him to be born early and be in the nicu. I wouldnt even risk it.
    Anonymous