Chewing habit?

My youngest son (he's 3) has recently started chewing on the sleeves of his shirt, right at his wrists. Is this just a habit or a sign of bordom that I could distract him from?

gatorswife

Asked by gatorswife at 3:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's not boredom, it's anxiety. Help him feel secure, remove the sources of stress from his life and it will go away on its own.

Focus on it, and you'll be adding to the stress --and creating a persistent habit out of it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter does that, in fact, she chews on everything! She's 3 on Monday. She's kinda stopped since she had her tonsils and stuff out. At least not as much.
    My 2nd grade niece does it too...
    I know lots of kids who do it.

I personally disagree w/Linda. Because we've been to the doctor for this. I've been telling my daughter to keep things outt her mouth, and that's been working. They never once said anything about anxiety. You should be able to tell if that's the case by his personality.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Kids chew on their sleeves for lots of reasons. Just gently remind him not to and move on.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010