got a question and dont be rude

i was 5'1 238lbs befor i found out that im carring our son and im 27 weeks now and gained 14 pounds so now im 252lbs and i didnt think it was that bad but my doc is fliping out..what do you think? how much did u gained??

any answers would be great am i worrying about nothing and should i tell him to shove it?

liljess09

Asked by liljess09 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you are comfortable with yourself, than tell him to shove it! I was 130 before, and gained 70 pounds while pregnant. I lost it all afterwards but it's to stressfuk to worry about all that crap while you ar preo!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 4:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Pardon my usageof this word,but doctors like overweight ladies to not gain over 20 lbs their whole pregnancy. My SIL was 325 when she got pregnant and gained 50 lbs and the doc was furious.
    They worry about gestational diabetes and preeclampsia

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Info I found for you:

"The guidelines for pregnancy weight gain are issued by the Institute of Medicine (IOM), most recently in May 2009. Here are the most current recommendations:

If your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height (a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9), you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 1 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy for the optimal growth of your baby.

If you were underweight for your height at conception (a BMI below 18.5), you should gain 28 to 40 pounds.

If you were overweight for your height (a BMI of 25 to 29.9), you should gain 15 to 25 pounds. If you were obese (a BMI of 30 or higher), you should gain between 11 and 20 pounds.

If you're having twins, you should gain 37 to 54 pounds if you started at a healthy weight, 31 to 50 pounds if you were overweight, and 25 to 42 pounds if you were obese."

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think you should listen to your dr. That may not be too much to gain half way through but considering where you started it is. I gained 60 lbs each time (3 times) but started at 110. I think the dr is concerned about YOUR health. Im sure your baby is fine... but that baby NEEDS a mommy.
    Anonymous

• If you are already overweight you should gain no more than 20lbs through your whole pregnancy. A woman of normal weight should gain about 35. An underweight woman should gain a little more (up to 45ish pounds). I was overweight to begin with (5'4" and 175lbs) I gained 15 lbs and left the hospital weighing less than when I got pregnant (171).
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• oh overweight dont hurt my feelings ive always battled with my weight the smallest person in my family is a size 13 so were all bigger people i use to work out everyday twice a day and i NEVER ate junk food and i was still 238 lol nothing worked diet pills nothing..so im hoping after the babys born i will be able to lose more..i wish i could be small but i was always a big girl i was a 10lb baby,,,
    liljess09

Comment by liljess09 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I gained sooooooooooo much with my son Noah that I was pushing 300 lbs. He was healthy and perfect but it took me YEARS to get rid of all the weight.
    It's really hard not to gain a lot. For me anyways.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What do you mean by "flipping out"? The doc is obviously concerned about both you and your baby. The issue is not the 17 lbs you gained, which I think is normal - the bigger issue is that you were already significantly overweight. I'm around your height and weigh 145 - and am considered on the brink of OBESE. 238 is a heart attack waiting to happen. This is not about "looks" or "shallow concerns", this is your life or your death; for the very least, it's the QUALITY of your life. And now you have a baby to think about....grandchildren in the future, etc. So I don't think you should tell the doc to shove it - I think you should ask him or her to help you to manage your health.

I am being honestly concerned, not mean. I hope you take this in the spirit in which I intend it.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• they say if you were over weight to begin with you should only gain15-20lbs I think it is.... so so far you are not even in that range yet. Your doctor is probably just concerned about certain conditions during pregnancy that being overweight can contribute to such as gestational diabetes and pre eclamsia... Don't get yourself all stressd out though. You can only do your best by eating a healthy diet rich in veggies whole grains protien and fruits... and moderatly excercise (like walking and climbing stairs, yoga and stretching) most days of the week. And try to stay away from extras, like desserts, soda, candy, and fried food. Stick to low fat spreads and dressings (including low fat crm ch and sour crm) low fat cheeses and skim milk. GL mama
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 4:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm 5'8" and with my last pregnancy I started out around 230 and did nothing but lose - doc wasn't happy but wasn't upset, she hadn't wanted me to gain much anyway (I was too nauseous to eat). Baby came out happy & healthy so it was all good. 14 lbs at 27 weeks...for the weight you started out at, yeah, that's kind of pushing it, with other pregnancies my doc said 15 lbs. So I understand why your doc isn't happy but at the same time it's not terribly healthy for you or baby for you to gain too much in pregnancy.
    Anonymous