Role of the government?

What do you think is the role of the government? What things are they responsible for and what things are individuals responsible for? You dont have to give whole list..just throw out a few ideas.

I think Govt should make the country favorable for jobs.

ex. Govt should make sure birth control is available but doesnt have to provide it
ex. Govt should regulate if people have the right to abortions, but shouldnt make them available.
ex. Govt should make sure medical professionals cna keep costs down for insurance and lawsuits so health care stays affordable.

I think they need to focus on homeland security, education and keeping criminals off the streets and reducing over spending.

If the govt quits sticking its nose where it doesnt belong it can do a better job on its main purposes.

What do you think the role of the govt should be? Please keep it a nice clean debate...share your ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Have you read the Constitution? That pretty well sums up the role of government.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Local, state, or federal?

They all have different roles.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think the govt just extends their role where it isnt necessary and then is lacking in the areas it is responsible for.

The constitution says we have the right to bear arms...but they dont provide them

I think we have the right to birth control..but why does the govt provide it?

They waste money on stuff that isnt their responsibility but they say prisons are overcrowded and let the animals out early....

Some schools are horrible and need funding..but they bail out a bank?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Government it to give a basis of organization so the states have a common point, and to provide for the national defense. Everything else is just fluff. Plus, the US Constitution does not mention education in it at any point. That is left to the states. The states that have begun to opt out of gov't money that allows the feds to control education are finding their tests scores are improving ..... now that the feds are out of the education and can't control what and how they do things. The feds want education because they can control what is taught, how it is taught, and to whom it is taught. I hate federal programs, and I am a teacher.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Read Article 1 sec 8 & 9, Article 2 section 2, and article 3 sec 1.

The government derives its power from the consent of the governed. In other words, the government doesn't give us the right to bear arms - we claim that right as our own. The government cannot have power that we as individuals don't have ourselves.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think the government should fix the potholes in our roads, make our bridges safe, and do even a little something with our electric grid. I think the government should properly fund the military, pay our soldiers a decent wage, provide a lot of awesome 'toys', and let the soldiers actually USE them.

Other than that I think the government should keep it's day job until they get the few things they are actually authorized to do at a manageable level.

No more welfare (individual or corporate), no more illegal freebies, no more kissing the buttocks of agribusiness and other lobbyists. It should get out of our schools, our healthcare, our backyards, our cemetaries, and should be smacked soundly every time it reaches for our wallets.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Love it Farmlady! I wholeheartedly agree! I think gov't is over reaching its bounds.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2010