MMR and Autism?

My son is 6 weeks old and going in for his first round of shots in a couple weeks. My husband is concerned because he heard that some vaccines or really the one (MMR) in particular is thought to cause autism. I'm nervous about giving him his shot now. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

ShaughnsMom112

Asked by ShaughnsMom112 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HUGELY debated. THere isn't evidence to support this, I don't believe but many people support the theory it is linked to autism. Go with your gut.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There is NO evidence that the MMR causes Autisim.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It is bunk! the MMR does NOT cause Autism!
    Anonymous

• Well, the MMR isn't given until the 1 year check up anyway, so you have plenty of time to think about it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would avoid the chicken pox vaccine, because it only lasts for 7 years and it much worse to get as an adult, so it's better that they just get it as a child. Unless your child is going to get a booster every 7 years, which I highly doubt.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well what I did is I started shots with my daughter when she was 6 mths old. The MMR shot I did not give to her until she was 20 mths old. My ped doc was fine with this. This is highly debated but like Jeanclaudia said, there is no theory that is linked to autism. There is no thorosol I know I did not spell this right. They took this out of the shot. I only gave her one at a time also. I did feel better doing it this way. I always felt why put this into there body so young. If you were going out of the country than yes, he would need his shots ASAP this is what my ped doc told me. You can wait I did. YOU always ask questions before receiving the shots, they will make you sign off each one he will receive.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you are concerned, then talk to your child's doctor, or space the vaccines out. I have 3 children (all fully vax'd) and yes, my oldest is on the Autism Spectrum. Do I think the MMR caused it--- NO.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It does NOT cause Autism.....
    There are many children who have Autism who have never had any vaccines....
    Anonymous

• Well, if the MMR vax causes Austism, then we are a bunch of autistic people as a whole. The majority of us got the vax as well as our kids and grandkids. This new scare is nothing more than a new generation who has decided the government isn't going to tell them what they have to do. Researchers have stated that there is nothing proving that the MMR vax causes Autism.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• bridgetc140 - The chicken pox vax does not require a booster every 7 years. My kids got it at 6yrs old & are now 18. They were NEVER required or suggested to get a booster. The schedule for the chicken pox vax is 1yr-12yr gets 2 doses 3 months apart. 12yr+ gets 2 doses 4-6 weeks apart. No boosters needed. Here is the link to the CDC stating such http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/vac-faqs-gen.htm

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010