For moms who work full time

I cannot seem to find enough hours in the day to keep my house clean and the laundry done. I feel like I am always behind on everything no matter how hard I try! What system do you have? Need all the advice I can get! I work 9-5 but don't get home till about 6:30-7pm.
Please help...so desperate right now!

Ariahsmom

Asked by Ariahsmom at 4:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I do what my ex called "The Flight of the Bumblebee".

Do a loop, collect all the dishes. Stack in the sink, add soap and water. Meanwhile, go collect dirty clothes and sort. Turn off the water at the sink as I toss in the first load. Dishes soaking, laundry going, go put cleanser on the sinks, toilets, tubs and showers. Those sit while beds are made. About then, time to switch washer/dryer loads. Wash the dishes and stack in drainboard. While stuff is drying, go scrub what you left w/ cleanser. Switch loads of laundry. Put dishes away. Pick a room and pick up/vacuum. Laundry buzzes, switch loads, sit down and take a "break" while I fold laundry. Put that away, pick a 2nd room... repeat till collapse or clean. That takes up most of my Saturday, and I have my weeknights and Sunday free.

if I do 2-3 hours a night (yeah, it takes that long) of little stuff, then Sat. takes MAYBE 2-3 hours and I have the whole weekend free.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I get up 2 hours before I have to leave for work, lay something out for dinner, start a load of laundry and empty the dishwasher from the night before. When I get home I change the laundry, cook dinner, load the dishwasher and set everyones clothes out for the next day. I try to clean a toilet here and there, sweep the floor and just fit little things in. I just don't get to watch tv lol. It feels good to get up early and get some things done, then I know the house won't be a wreck when I walk in the door :0)

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks for answering. Not sure if I can get up 2 hours earlier though! lol I'd be getting up at 3:30am then! lol It's hard enough going to bed at 11pm and waking up at 5:30am. But I will try some of things you suggested! Thank you.
    Ariahsmom

Comment by Ariahsmom (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I do about a half hour of cleaning every other day it helps not be so behind in it for me
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am just behind... I do a load of laundry every day, I pick a room and pick that up before I sit down for the night. But my house is never as clean as I want it. My husband does the dishes, so that helps.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my kids were little and I was working, I saved Saturday as my cleaning day. In the evenings when I got home from work, that was the kids' time. I fed them, bathed them, read books and tucked them in bed. When they were sleeping, I picked up the main things, like cleaning the kitchen, etc. Then I got ready for bed myself. Like I said, I cleaned on Saturday mornings, did the grocery shopping on Saturday afternoon and kept Sunday for the "doing nothing" day. Occasionally, I went shopping on a week night and let the kids' dad take care of things, just to get a break.

Don't be too concerned right now, it all goes by so fast. Cherish this time when they are little.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I do a little bit everyday....for instance, I do one load of laundry every night...and the other family members that live here-all pitch in.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 6:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We all have our own chores and I only do a little every day. I pay lots of attention to my kitchen. My kids do the kitty boxes and bathrooms. My husband vacuums and keeps the living areas clean. I do 1 load of laundry mid-week and the rest on the weekends all at once, and I fold and put them away rather than letting it pile up. Good luck. Find a routine that works for you so you can enjoy life !
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When I did work FT, our house was empty all day, so honestly there was nothing much to clean. We cooked dinner every night, and DD took out her toys, but that all got cleaned up before bed. As far as dusting, bathrooms, and laundry go, that was always done on either Friday night, or Saturday.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My husband cleans a lot and that really helps out. I am also home by 3.30 everyday-perks of being a teacher. Anyways, for the meal part... what about crockpot meals? I make a lot of them.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010