2 week old?

My son has had dirreah for two days i called the ped. they said it was normal since i breastfeed and formula feed. This morning he had blood in stools is this normal? he goes for his two week check-up tomorrow and i dont want to keep calling the ped if it really is normal and i wanted to give him pedilyte so he would't get dehydrated but the bottle says ask ped if under one and they said it wasnt necessary because this is normal as long as he is eating but i promise he's been pooping at least 15 times a day even if its just a little run any help or advice?

aggheff08

Asked by aggheff08 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think blood in the stools is normal, discuss it tomorrow with the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• the diarrhea is normal. If it looks like mustard seeds I know gross. But blood might be something to cause concern.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Blood in the stool once can be a fluke. If it persists, monitor and write it down to tell the doctor tomorrow.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• As long as your son is still eating I think it will be ok tell tomorow.

Answer by louise2 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well, pooping 15 times a day can be normal for a breastfed newborn. Typically they poop every time they eat.

Blood isn't normal, though, and I'd be concerned about an allergy. Have you been giving dairy formula? Dairy is a major culprit for this sort of thing.

Any particular reason you're supplementing? I'd stop and see if it gets better. Do expect him to poop at least once for every feeding, though. It's not diarrhea unless it's completely soaked into the diaper. If there is solid mass, it's normal.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• it does look like it has seeds in it and its a yellow/green color it bottom is so broken out but it was like bloody mucos and i mist supplement due to not enough milk comin in my breast only lactate every two days and even then its not enough
    aggheff08

Comment by aggheff08 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Seriously sounds like dairy allergy. Rash is a very common symptom.

What makes you think you can't produce enough milk? When did you begin supplementing and why? I bet if you wean from the formula you will produce plenty of milk to feed your baby. You just need to give your body what it needs to know how much to make... and what it needs is stimulation from your baby. There are also supplements you can take to help in increasing milk production. Head over to the breastfeeding moms group and tell them the situation and they will be happy to help you.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010