Prozac during pregnancy?

I've been experiencing severe depression and anxiety during this pregnancy, to the point of having panic attacks. This didn't start until about six weeks ago, very sudden. My doctor just prescribed me Prozac. I'm 23 weeks. He said Prozac has been shown to be one of the safest SSRI's during pregnancy, but I will have to stop taking it in the last few weeks to avoid withdrawls for the baby. Has anyone had experience with this medication during pregnancy? I'm a little nervous as I've never taken a medication like this at all, much less while pregnant...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/DN00007
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I had depression during pregnancy and I choose not to use any medication, after deliver and breastfeeding (for about 3 months) I went on to prozact. I have to say I felt so much better, if I were to ever be pregnant again I would take prozact during pregnacy under doctor supervision. I was so upset and depressed that I feel as though I 'missed' the birth of my son.

This is just my opinion and based on my experience please discuses this with your doctor or get a second opinion before you decide whats best for you.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• ask you doctor!
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 6:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2010