Does anyone know what "Blanket Training" is?

I saw this term used on a post about the Duggar family, and have never heard it before?? What is it??

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• omg i read that how can someone do that to there child, but i like my idea of blanket training better I started giving my child a soft blanket when they cried to teach them how to sooth there selves my daughter who is now 17 still goes gets her blanket when shes upset, my son whos 6 months rubs his when hes tired guess so far it worked and not confining at all..
    ambnwyattmom

Answer by ambnwyattmom at 9:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Basically they put the baby on a blanket and if the baby rolls over or moves off the blanket they are given a "tap" and put back in the middle of the blanket. I think it's horrible because it stifles independence. Children shouldn't be confined to a blanket to play on - they should explore. I don't know if "tapping" is actually any sort of physical punishment but I don't agree with it at all.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 9:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Thank you SAHMinIL for the link. I read it and it sounds horrible!!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Wow. That is pretty freakin' revolting.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I took this directly from the The Dugger mom. **********************

"Blanket training" has been one of the most helpful tools for me! I only wish that I had heard about it before my 7th child came along!! The sweet lady who explained blanket training to me called it her "playpen in a purse"! This concept involves placing your baby or toddler on his/her favorite blanket, explaining to the best of their understanding that they must stay on their blanket, and then demonstrating the consequences of getting off the blanket with a small rod or switch. Simply switch the floor or carpet all around the outside edges of the blanket and firmly but sweetly say, "No, No! Don't touch!" Give your child few favorite toys to keep his attention, and switch the toys out every little bit, and that child will learn to stay on his blanket for quite a long period of time.

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 11:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• cont...
    Begin with just 3 - 5 minutes with very young children, and after practicing every day for several weeks, he will build up his time to play happily on that blanket until he can stay there for an hour or more! What a joy and a help this was to me when I had the older 6 children in school and needed to spend time with them!
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 11:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• cont... The joy of this training is that you can fold that blanket up, put it in the diaper bag, and take it easily to a friend's house, or visiting new church members, and your child will sit quietly without disrupting the visit! One of my pet peeves is when folks come to visit and just "unleash" their children to invade every room of your home! What chaos! This blanket training is easily converted to "church training" when you begin taking your young child into the services. Simply fold the blanket and put it on the pew and your child will already understand the limitations and rules http://www.ffministry.org/blanket_training.htm

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 12:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• So it has nothing to do with hitting or "tapping" their child, but the swatting or "switching" the floor.

And even though I don't practice this I don't see anything wrong with it.

Children learn boundaries from it, which is something that in today's home I don't see many kids being taught and nor do they have a grasp of it.

Ppl. in today's society seem to want to be their kids' friend and not a parent anymore. It's no wonder why there are so many kids in juvenial detention centers and such places.

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 12:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• (In blanket training)They put their child on that child's fav. blanket, give the child some of his/her fav. toys (and they can of course be educational toys and be learning while they are on there and "exploring" that toy) and again the floor (not the child) is swatted. Not the child.

Again, it's about teaching kids boundaries and it's about a matter of perspective because while some think it's much more important for a child to "explore" with out consequences or to learn from their consequences other parents want to first establish boundaries and discipline.

I think unless something is real abuse we should mind our own business and let ppl. rear their children as they please.

But for the OP I hope my copy and pasted quote from Michelle Dugger helped.
    Happ-eToBme