How long will milk last after it has been frozen?

I have a gallon in the deep freezer and I was wondering how long it will last once thawed.

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 5:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• when i freeze milk i make sure to use it within 3-4 days of thawing it, i do not like using it longer than that, regardless of how close to or far from expiration i froze it.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 6:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• This rather depends on when you put it in the freezer. At what point towards its expiration did you freeze it? I just bought milk today and it's good till the 31st. IF it was frozen right away, it should be good in the fridge for at least a week. If it was nearing the expiration date when put in the freezer, then it will last less time in the fridge. If you are going to freeze milk on a regular basis, it is a good idea to mark the date you put it in the freezer on the carton itself. Also, while pasteurized milk can be frozen; it may separate or be slightly grainy when thawed. Frozen milk works best for cooking, but you may find it's still okay for drinking.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Bump
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I freeze milk and when we thaw it we usually use it within about three days and it always lasts. But the reason I freeze it is beacause we drink it so fast here and when it is on sale we buy a bunch of it and freeze it. Soooooo when it is thawed it still doesn't last long. My Mom insists that it is good for at least a week though.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never knew you could freeze milk. hmm
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2010