Pizza Delivery Tip Question

How much do you tip on a $17 pizza order that is being delivered. There's a $2 delivery fee, but I don't think that goes to the driver.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Funny, my SO and I were just talking about this exact thing! We don't get it either. So, next time we order, we're gonna ask exactly what the delivery fee is for. I'm sure it's not for the box because when you order it to go and pick it up yourself, the delivery fee isn't there. I think it's double-dipping. Like restaurants that figure the tip into your bill without telling you hoping you'll not notice and leave a tip on the table. Double-dipping.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I usually tip them $2-3 on top of the delivery fee (which you're right, they DON'T usually get that). Some places make them cover their own gas and commercial vehicle insurance, so those tips help!

If the weather is BAD, I tip more since they have to be out in it and I don't.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It all depends on how far they are traveling. We normally do about $4 - $5 on a pizza.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 5:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I do $3 on top of any delivery fee, and as a previous poster put, I tip more if it's a nasty day, however, I try not to order delivery in bad weather. If I don't want to be out in it, I don't want someone else out in it either.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• The delivery fee is to cover fuel use. I tip them a couple dollars generally.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If the driver is responsible for their gas, maintenance and insurance, then how is the delivery fee for fuel cost? This used to be part of what a tip was all about. To help the driver for using his own vehicle to bring you your pizza. If it doesn't go to the driver, then how can the pizza place charge a fuel cost? It's not their fuel.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Specialwingz, not all places give their drivers a fuel allowance. Also, not all places charge a delivery fee. The places that do charge the fee, it *may* go to the driver as a fuel compensation. I'm not 100% sure how it works. I know a few people who say when they worked as delivery drivers that the pizza places ONLY gave them part of the fuel money (say gas was $4.00/gal like it was for awhile, the company gave them the chain's compensation rate of $2.50/gal, and they had to cover the rest. A lot of them said, though, that they never saw a DIME of that delivery fee, that it all went to "the house".
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• OK...I just called my local Pizza Hut cuz the curiosity was killing me. LOL. The manager says that the delivery fee goes to Pizza Hut to cover driver insurance. Although the driver is responsible for their own auto insurance, the company is required to hold backup insurance for each driver in case they are injured on a delivery. Sounds like we, the consumer, are paying for Pizza Hut's Workers Compensation insurance policy.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You're so right - my husband was the manager of a Dominos for a couple of years - the drivers only got like 50 cents, if anything, out of the delivery fee, and they don't get anything for gas or anything. So tipping has always been important to me. Even if its just a couple of dollars.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Specialwingz, I work for a plaintiff's attorney and I'm guessing that the insurance they talk about actually is a type of auto insurance. If that driver were to get in an accident, their insurance company would cover some of it, but Pizza Hut would also be partially liable because the driver was working for them at the time. So it might be Workers Comp, but they also need coverage in case the driver does something wrong and injures someone else too....
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2010