In your opinion, what's the best age gap between children?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 5:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was reading the new birth order book and the expert says that the best time frame in between children is 3-5 years. That way, the sibling isn't so much younger than the older one that they can be concidered a first born and aren't so close that the birth order personalities are blurred. I suggest reading this book, it has opened my eyes to the reason behind the personalities between my children and step-children, as well as the steps relationship with their mom and dad, and the relationship between me, my husband, and his ex-wife.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 5:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 2 - 3 years. Anymore is too much. My poor 14 yr old is the odd man out since the 6 & 9 yr olds are so close.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well, I can only base my opinion on my own personal experience. My daughters are 3.5 years apart. My oldest was old enough to understand that there would be a new baby (not necessarily understand anything else though that goes along w/that) and old enough to want to help with her..."Mommy can I help change her, can I get her a bottle", etc...stuff like that.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mine are 8, 10 and 12. I love it that way and wouldn't change a thing. It was harder when they were younger. Now that they are a little older think it helps them get along better.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My boys are ages 5,4 2 1/2 and almost 8months. The 2 oldest boys get along very well. They spend all the time they can together. They are 18months apart. I think between 2 and 2 1/2yrs of a good age range between siblings. My sister and i are 2ys apart and get along very well. We may have argued when we were younger, but once we hit our late teens we were more like best friends and still are.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think whatever is right for your family. I do not think age difference makes yours kids close. It is how you raise them. My brother is 20 months younger than me and we can't stand each other. But my adopted brother who is 18 years younger than me...I would give my life for him. I love him so much and we are extremely close.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think 2-3 yrs the oldest one is in school and the baby gets all the attention during day, but they still are close enough to play
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 7:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 1-3 years
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That is a decision that ONLY you and your SO can make.....My daughter was only 6 months when I got prego with my son....we wanted ours close together and that was a decision that we made...and though I dealt with a lot of criticism( still do sometimes) I never regreted it...you have to do whats best for you and what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do for your family
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 4+
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2010