Non-believers

Does this ever happen to you?
You have nice, casual conversation with someone, don't really know each other, like moms at school, etc, the church or religious beliefs subject comes up and after a question like 'what church do you go to' orsomething similar and you honestly answer that you are a non believer, you see them change their face look, or body language like they suddenly froze?
Why is it difficult to tell people that you don't believe as opposed to saying thet you do and go to this or another church?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 5:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just tell them that I dont attend a church. My husband and I are Wiccan and we live on the bible belt so its not a great thing to bring up. So I just tell them that I do not attend a local church and when they ask me to go with them one day I politely decline.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yes, happens a lot down here in south georgia. things seem to be fine at first then religion comes up, I explain i'm not a christian and they don't act the same towards me afterwards. Some people just very judgmental. I dont give a crap what someones religion is.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yes, its happened to me. I get along fine with people for months, then religion or lack of it comes up, and they no longer want to associate with me. I don't get it. The fact that they are religious doesn't bother me, why should the fact that I am atheist make a difference?
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 5:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sure it's happened to me, but I don't find it hard to tell people what my beliefs are. If anything I welcome the opportunity! I've found that most people have no idea what a Pagan is, so when the subject comes up, it's a great time for me to help to educate them and answer their questions.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's not difficult for me because I could give a rats ass what they think. I'm not judging them for believing and if they judge me for being a non-believer then they arent worth my time
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• where I live most of the ppl my age are either agnostic, or christians who are unsure of the existence of god, so they are agnostics but don't want the title, so no one ever asks that question. LOL

Where I live religion is a personal topic, one you discuss with your family but as far as it being something you ask a stranger, it doesn't happen.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm a believer and when I find out the person I'm talking to is a non-believer, I'm usually curious about what they believe and why, but I don't always know how to ask without coming across like I'm trying to pry or lead the conversation. When I was a teenager I flew a lot and had such an easy time talking to people. Now, for some reason, I'm way more self-conscious and have a hard time just chatting casually with strangers. My view is, though I might disagree with you, I respect that you have your reasons for what you believe just as I have my reasons, and I can grow by understanding you better. And if I ever have a chance to share with you what I believe, it will be through how I live my life more than through what comes out of my mouth.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i went to the emergency room in my new town a couple months ago. the old nurse who registered my information asked my religion and i said politely "no religion" she gave me the dirtiest up and down look as if i was covered in maggots. so disrespectful. it's kinda like in the movie Chocolat. the town finds out Vivian doesn't go to church and they end up boycotting her chocolatry. Johnny Depp was hot in that movie haha, just saying
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• How one lives the life they have is totally up to that person. No one is supposed to say whether or not another needs to believe what they do. It's okay if anyone is worshiping the way they understand. That is why most believers stand to the religion or belief they are following.; or have faith in. It should never concern a person why they react a certain way and then get upset about it, maybe if you don't believe you should explain it more to them so they are able to get the meaning right away before they have a chance to jump or react with a certain frozen look.
    Anonymous

• I get that everyday. When ppl ask what church do I got to, I tell them I worship at home, and that I do believe in the Most High God. Of course the word God means something totally different to me , and I dont exactly "worship" in the same since they mean it, but it's a satisfying answer every time. I find it much easier to appropriately play on words in situations like that. It keeps them hopeful and me peaceful, plus I dont have to worry about them asking what I believe in. Could you imagine their faces (and response) if I told them Imma witch, lol!!!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010