DH just called to tell me he was on his way home because he got fired....ugh...

We're struggling enough as it is. He's been having problems with this company since Dell sold the building to Ceva logistics and became employed by them instead. They are not nearly as good of an employer as Dell...he has been at this job for 3 and a half years.
The transfer happened August 1st, and ever since they've been telling everyone that they would be laying off half the employees come January, and that whoever stayed would be getting a pay cut because "they get paid too much for what they do." Whatever. Most companies would pay at least $2 an hour more than what my hubby was making for someone with forklift certification.
They've changed overtime policies so that they don't have to give any advance notice "We'll keep you here as long as we need to", and keep screwing with employees' vacation time. We've just been sticking with...at least he has a job, at least he has a decent job with good benefits, for now, just stick with it because so many people don't have jobs at all, and it's so hard to find other jobs right now. Then he gets fired, a week before Christmas. I don't know why yet, I told him we'd talk about it when he got home.
I don't hold out much hope of him being able to find a job that pays as well or better, the way the economy is right now - and because he was LUCKY to get the "permanent" job with Dell in the first place, considering he doesn't even have a GED. In anticipation of being laid off in January, he's already scheduled his test, but it's not until Jan 26th.
I don't hold out much hope of him being able to find another job very quickly. I don't know what we're going to do. *sigh*
Sorry for the rant.

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• hugsSorry! Hope things start looking better soon.

arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• UGH! that s awful! Hopefully you'll be able to see a bit of unemployment to help out a bit... get on ADC for a bit if need be and check into WIC try and be supportive and really encourage him to go through with the test! GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We're on WIC already, and food stamps. AND we JUST had an interview this morning, lol, for them to check and see if things are still the same. Now I have to call back and tell them he got fired. I don't know if he'll be able to get unemployment, but I hope so.
    He took the test 4 years ago and passed everything but the math, and luckily the results are still valid, so all he's got to re-take is the math portion, and I'm trying to help him along with that.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you can, take stock of what you have in your pantry, freezer, fridge and cubbards. See how you can stretch the food you have in the house as far as it can go. Use all the food in the house FIRST before buying anymore (unless it's milk or bread)
    If you have nothing left and can't afford food there are foodbanks and google Food banks and your city/state also look for resources that your hubby can get in on like retraining programs/education, joblisting anything like that. If there a possibility that you could take in a child to babysit during the day? maybe two? anything to help suppliment the income of the house hold.

Anyways It sucks i know.. but you guys can make it through
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 5:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• that's awful! and such crappy timing. screw that company. ((((Think P O S I T I V E))))
    Once things settle down he should go ahead and update his resume and start looking! Many look for employees after holidays. Hopefully the unemployment will go through! best of luck to you!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i hope he can get unemployment, and maybe another job pretty soon. i know how hard it can be to live and work in a transitional time in a company, it's hard. sorry!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Good Luck, that sucks. Happened to a friend of mine yesterday with his DH. Just got let go with no warning. :-(
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• im so sorry! i hope things get better for you!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Someone once told be if you are thankful for what you do have then you can only get further in life. If you dwell on what you don't have then you wont get anywhere.

I guess keep this is mind in such a hard time. There are many resources out there. Food Pantry, cash assistance, churches, HEAP, Some times local Child protective services can help pay a bill or direct you to who can help
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 6:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Its not a suprise to me. its should be expected unless you have your own business. my husband got laid off too, we live in the #50 dead last state for business and jobs, but hubby had no problem finding work, its who you know and how well you network. if i knew wwhere you were id refer you somewhere.

let me know if hes open to the type of work.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010