Do you ever feel guilty about buying yourself something?

I really don't ever buy anything for myself..everything is always for the kids and my husbands video games from time to time. Today I ordered some mineral foundation and a new brush. Back in March my daughter got ahold of mine and threw it in the toilet (both the foundation and the brush lol) and I have never replaced it..until now. For some reason I feel guilty about it lol Why?!! Maybe it's just because it's the holidays and typically it's about giving, or maybe it's just my weird emotional state right now as I am 25 weeks pregnant. Whatever it is, I don't like it!! I shouldn't feel guilty about spending a little bit of money for something that I want. Anyone else find themselves in this position?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm better about it now that my son is an adult, but when he was younger, I can remember going shopping and picking out things for the both of us. Even if I was buying items I really needed (example: new underwear or socks), by the time I'd gotten through the store, I'd have put everything for myself back on the shelf. Just couldn't do it.
    VanBurren

Answer by VanBurren at 11:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I feel the same way. I don't work and sometimes I feel like the money is not mine to spend on myself. I buy stuff for the kids and stuff for the house. That's it. When I tell my husband I feel guilty that I bought myself some clothes or something, he tells me that is why he works so we can buy what we need.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never ever buy myself anything. My husband has to MAKE me buy underwear when they are holey LOL.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I feel guilty all the time. I'm a SAHM so I'm not bring in money. In my eyes I don't deserve stuff if I'm not helping with the money. It got to the point where none of my cloths fit me so my husband made me go out and buy stuff. I went to a 2nd hand shop to cut prices but I still felt like shit
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• All the time, though for something like that I probably wouldn't. I hardly ever spend money on myself....to me it's always more important that my daughter and my husband have what they need. I don't feel right about buying myself new clothes and stuff when I could be spending the money on buying new clothes, shoes, etc for my daughter instead.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes I am that way too. When the kids need something that pretty much takes priority.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never feel guilty for buying for myself (well, not any longer anyway..lol)

Years ago I would feel guilty,. Then one day I thought about it. In those thoughts I realized this. I never felt quilty when I bought things for my husband or my son.. Why should I feel guilty buying something for myself. I have needs, and wants just like they do. If I felt they "deserved" those things why in the world did I feel that I didn't. I mean, I'm just as important to them and myself as they are to me.

After I had this little one on one conversation with myself.. Guilt has not raised it's annoying head again.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i think as long as you dont put yourself before your kids then there is nothing wrong with you treating yourself! Dont feel guilty!!!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, a lot. My kids had to talk me into buying myself a Christmas present, because I really wanted this item, but I couldn't justify the money on myself. But as my son reminded me, I've given up going out to lunch, gave up my monthly mani's, pedi's and massage. I buy myself clothes MAYBE every couple of years, and shoes only when mine are too beat up to wear anymore. I do for everyone else first and myself last, even when it comes to meals, so DARN IT, I deserved for ONCE to think of myself.

Methinks there's a kiddo who gets a lil extra in his stocking this year.... *wink*
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I feel like that sometimes too
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010