Kids Under 12 Drink Caffeine Every Day??

By NewsCore - As many as 75 percent of American children consume caffeine daily, which is leading to sleep problems among the biggest consumers of caffeine, a study published Thursday in the Journal of Pediatrics found.

The research, carried out by doctors at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, found that children between eight and 12 consume an average of 109 milligrams of caffeine a day, which is the equivalent of about three cans of caffeinated soda.

Children as young as five are consuming the equivalent of a can of caffeinated soda daily.

Lead researcher, William Warzak, said the intake of caffeine appears to interfere with children’s sleep, with sleep disruptions increasing as kids consume more caffeine.

“Parents need to be more careful in monitoring what their children eat and drink,” said Warzak. “Children don’t need to be drinking caffeine.”

Pediatricians, he wrote, could play a critical role in helping parents understand the harmful effects of allowing their kids to consume caffeine.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/kids-under-12-drink-caffeine-every-day-20101216-ncx

Do yours?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 5:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• That's sad. My kids get maybe one a week. I think them having them in moderation is ok
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My kids are only allowed non caffeinated soda, and even then only rarely. They don't do well with sugar. I usually only buy them sugar free soda on the rare occasions I buy any for them.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 5:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We're a water and herbal tea house hold. The adults get coffee :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• WOW ! No my kids dont get more than a sip of mine a day and that is if I feel generous...so not often! LOL when they have friends over it suprises me that they ask for pop...cause they know the answer is NO... My oldest gets it when he goes to a few friends house and really it makes me mad that they offer it to them when they know my feel onit!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son gets caffiene every once in a blue moon. I cannot imagine giving him soda like some people do. ugh.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my oldest i try to keep her as far as possible from soda for the same reason, caffeine on children is not healthy.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No. My kids, who are 5 and 10, do not drink soda or any caffeinated beverage. I told them they can have it when they're older, and not growing, and they're OK with that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No. I think the only thing that has caffeine that my son ever eats is the occasional piece of chocolate, and even that is not daily.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There are a LOT of ways to get caffeine other than soda and/or coffee. If your child consumes chocolate (milk, ice cream, candy), that's caffeinated. But, in my house, no...my kids don't get candy and soda/coffee/iced tea is not in their diet....I refuse to introduce them to it.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• yeah, my kids don't get soda... my youngest was on prescribed caffiene for her apnea but has since been taken off... i just don't understand... why kids and caffiene?
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010